Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

S/C Mach 1 or SVT Cobra? Need opinion on what to buy.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:34 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

OK lets start off with this the GT and the MACH are nowhere close in power bolt ons barely keep up with a stock mach.
the mach has an aluminum engine hangs with the LSx based cars fairly well until you pull the engines apart then im not to sure.

pay 12-15k for a mach forged the guts throw a D1sc/ KB2.1 and add 15psi and you'll hve no problem with anything short of a new viper or Z06.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:37 AM
03MachMe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tha187Rookie
and IMO the mach 1 isnt really too far off from a gt... it looks a lil diff, has a lil more horsepower and diff interior, but for the price difference, you could get a really really nice gt for the price of a beat on mach 1, not to mention most of the gts come with at least an exhaust at this point... i had to choose between a mach and a gt and i went with the gt cuz i figured with what i was saving i could make my gt that much better, lol... no offense to mach guys, just the shaker isnt for me, lol
haha^ there are tons of differences between the 2. more than just a little power for one, suspension, 4v>2v, rare factor, among tons of other things... there is no question that a mach is a 10x better car all around than a gt a full bolt on GT is still going to be slower than a stock mach.

and for the op if you have the money to build the motor and SC the mach i would say do it. the mach is going to be more rare, have a sleeper factor to it and not as many people will expect it to be sc. then again if you go with the cobra you will cant go wrong
Old 04-08-2009, 11:38 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Originally Posted by Tha187Rookie
i think its just you... i like the cobras a lot better, my buddy has a mach 1 s/c and it looks like a gt with a shaker hood in my opinion...it does have about 500 hp, but cobras cant get faster pretty easy... if you do get a mach 1 at least change that hideous front bumper as your first upgrade, hate that license plate spot! but if the decision is between the mach and the cobra, i strongly think the cobra is the way to go, you could always turbo it or swap out the supercharger for a nice upgrade!
please stop giving advice my friend. the cobra has 390/390 not 500...why change the bumper? you can turbo/ supercharge anything and the mach block can easily handle 1k rwhp. the guts should only run you about 2-3 for top of the line stuff and you won
t break there anymore.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I say cobra (terminator). I've had both a 04 mach1 and now my 04 cobra and I like my cobra so much better. You can easly make a ton of power out of the cobras for cheap.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:15 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by USMCrebel
please stop giving advice my friend. the cobra has 390/390 not 500...why change the bumper? you can turbo/ supercharge anything and the mach block can easily handle 1k rwhp. the guts should only run you about 2-3 for top of the line stuff and you won
t break there anymore.
my friends s/c mach has 500 hp, i know what a cobra has... and the odds this guy is going to try to make a 1,000rwhp car is pretty slim... hes either gonna do bolt ons with a cobra and hit like 500hp, s/c a mach and hit 500hp, y cant a gt easily hit 500hp, lol, i know it can... by the time you are done spending all 3 would prolly end up costing a similar amount... and the only downfall to the 4v engine is that you need space to run it, i know where i live in Jersey, a 4v would not benefit you much because you cant drive it fast, those 4v engines need to breathe... and either way this is posted in a mach section? im expecting mostly everyone here to either say get a mach, or fight with everyone else as to y to get a mach, an opinion is an opinion, i said IN MY OPINION a mach is like a gt with a shaker, i know the differences and yes, the mach has some upgrades that would be nice to have, but nothing a GT or any other car cant get...

example - my GT cost 15,000 with mods. stock Mach with smilar mileage about 18-20,000. stock termi with similar mileage 20+. so with the 5,000+ you would save by just having a GT could you not bring it up to par? maybe itll take a little work and patience, but it could easily be competitor... plus hes looking to s/c the mach or add bolt ons to the termi, so say he ends up spending 25,000 total...do you think a GT with 10,000 put into it would be able to compete with a mach with 5,000 into it or a termi with about 2,000? i think so, lol... i think it basically depends, how much do you want done for you to start with...

really not saying anything in a hostile way if it seems like it, lol, you just gotta see everything from other peoples point of view...do i think a stock GT is better to buy than a stock mach or cobra? no effin way, but you when start talking putting money into it, they all have their pros and cons, and they'll all end up at a similar level for a similar amount of money
Old 04-08-2009, 01:26 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

and just so everyone here doesnt think im Mr. GT, i wish i had the money to buy a Termi when i bought this car cuz i wouldve, i love that car, but i didnt so i bought a GT. do i still wish i had a termi? yea kinda, but i dont regret my GT... whatever car he gets, its still a mustang and still a good choice!
Old 04-08-2009, 01:33 PM
03MachMe
2nd Gear Member

its going to cost you twice as much to get a GT to the same level as a mach sorry. you put 8psi on a stock gt your going to get less than 400hp proll only like 360 or so i know a guy with just cams and a few bolt ons that makes that much in his mach. you put a blower on a mach with 8psi your looking at prolly around 420 or so. so its going to take quite a bit more money for the gt to be at the same level as the mach or cobra the 4v motor flows way better than a 2v and if you get a 5speed mach you already have the forged crank unlike the gt so all you need is rods and pistons to make the engine able to handle over 700 in a gt your going to need rods pistons and a crank plus it still wont flow as well with the 2v heads. the top of the line trickflow heads flow about the same maybe a tad more than STOCK 4v heads. then you can still port the 4v heads to make it even better. plus the mach has cobra brakes with 13in rotors in the front where as the gt does not. the mach comes with 3.55 gears stock the gt 3.27s there is a 100 things you would have to do to the gt to make it even close to be as good all around as the mach. dont even get me started on the interior of the cars. the mach seats are 100x more comfortable than the gts. plus the mach will ALWAYS be worth more if you try and sell it than the gt. and you can get a mach for around 12-13 right now so if this guy wants to spend 20k on a car he could make a mach that can support well over 500hp and still look 100x better than a gt. but then again you are from jersey so that might explain your mindset
Old 04-08-2009, 01:55 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

see, in the area im in, we dont really have the space to let a car over 500hp really do what its suppose to and the closest track is like an hour away so that affects my mindset id say a lot. i agree i like the mach interior alot more, but some things matter to some people more than others, i had no idea mach were so cheap right now, lol, if they were that low at the time i was looking i probably would have went that route, im still thinking like it was a year from now, lol.. and more power out of a supercharger from my understanding is just a matter or juicing up the psi, and being able to handle it... ill admit i dont know everything and im not a huge motor guy, but yea, lol... idk, ive lost interest in the war at this point, lol, now that i no a mach is that cheap right now id say go for it, curious wat a GT and termi is goin for right now too but yea, my mindset is based on prices from last year, lol
Old 04-08-2009, 02:49 PM
meechuacon
3rd Gear Member

If you can afford a cobra, I'd buy one. It's what I wanted, but couldn't afford, so I went with the next best thing, a mach 5-spd. I love it over my old 2000 GT, so much better. The only thing I don't like about the cobra is the independent rear suspension. Otherwise it's a beast!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 03:33 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

i guess in texas cars are a few thousand cheaper than in Jersey cuz i cant say im finding a decent mach for sale as cheap as you're saying

Quick Reply: S/C Mach 1 or SVT Cobra? Need opinion on what to buy.