Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

cat back, ring and pinion question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 05:17 AM
cwf340
1st Gear Member

Default cat back, ring and pinion question.

hey all, Im getting a stock 04 mach 1 tomorrow errr later today.. And Im excited to start bolting on goodies!! I think I want to use either a SLP powerflo or the JBA cat back system first. Which one should I go with? I want it loud but without the droan noise through the floor. or at least the one the has the least droan. I also want to go with 4.10 gears, which brand should I go with? I have installed richmond gears and motorsport gears in cars and ended up with gear whine, do the motive gears whine? also will the H pipe for a GT fit the mach1? which brand fits best? Thanks in advance for any advice! Heres a shot of the car!

Old 10-23-2009, 07:29 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums! If you want minimal drone then you don't want a chambered muffler in general. Also, neither of those mufflers will be very loud. I would consider something like Stingers, Magnapacks, LM 2's, SSS Terminator's, etc, if you want loud with little drone. These are straight throught style mufflers, and tend to resinate less (depends on the rest of the exhaust though) than chambered mufflers.

An h pipe for a gt will fit a Mach 1 as well. The best (also most expensive) would be MRT in terms of fitment and quality.

I have Motive gears, and mine wine just a little, but barely noticable. Your best bet would probably be Ford Racing gears.

Last edited by mrtstang; 10-23-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:54 AM
XxMustangManiacxX
1st Gear Member

First of all congrats man! and that is a very sexy mach!
If i was you i would put SLP lm1's or 2's
and definitely! definitely definitely definitely get Ford racing Gears!
Slp and Magnaflow have great Midpipes and if you decide to do straight through pipes (slp) then look to get a xpipe...thats my opinion but its your car and your money so go on youtube and such and figure out what suits you best
Old 10-23-2009, 02:43 PM
JDraper
2nd Gear Member

Congrats on getting a Mach!!

If the car is a 5 speed, you might not want to put 4:10's in it. With the ratio's in the 3650 and the power they put down, 4:10's would make 1st gear almost useless. I have mild mods on my Mach with the stock 3.55's and, even when I was on 315's I couldn't go full throttle in first without roasting the tires. If you run DR's you can get it to hook, but then you better upgrade the rear and reinforce the torque boxes so you don't bust something.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:43 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Check out the "Mach 1 Exhaust Notes" sticky. Take note of how much sound midpipes add. With stock midpipe, louder muffs/ with aftermarker midpipe, quieter muffs (they'll still be just as loud). Don't make my mistake and get a loud straight-through resonator (I have SLP LM1s) and try to run no cats...toooooo loud. Get what sounds good to you, that's all there is to it.

Gear whine is a result of the install. It's almost luck of the draw. People who've installed hundreds of them will tell you that when you're dealing with a matter of thousandths of an inch you can only be so perfect. I say go only with FRPP though. 4.10s are awesome. Good amount of clutch work at the track to get her to hook but you have to do that with 3.55s anyhow. Even with DRs you can't dump it anyhow with 4.10s because you'll bog a little (why I wish I'd gone w/ 4.30s or 4.56s). That's my experience anyhow. That's all I have to say about that. Sweet find brother, you'll love it.

Last edited by rygi23; 10-23-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:22 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Congrats on the mach. Go with the basics intake/exhaust/tune/gears, then you can see where you want to go from there. As far as exhaust, I cant tell you how happy I am with my SSS adrenalines, you can always move on to the terminators if you want louder. For me, the adrenalines are nice and quiet when driving normal but since its a straght-thru design it screams on wide open throttle. Check out the exhaust notes sticky, good info and sound clips there.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:23 PM
1sickmach

I have Magnaflows not the packs,and they sound good just not loud enough so for my self it will be either the Bassani race or the SSS Terminator.As far as gears 410's would be a good balance between street/ strip and open track,and no 1st gear is not useless i have had 410's and people will also tell you that you can't drive a car with 410's in the rain again B.S. you will be fine.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:28 PM
1sickmach

Even though i like to do an open track event or 2 a year nothing serious and my car is set up for this,i will be going with 430's shortly.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:29 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

SSS catback is the best sounding out there, maybe i'll do an Xpipe eventually.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:35 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

^^^just don't do a o/r x with the SSS Terminators unless you like it insanely loud! I've been there and done that lol.

Quick Reply: cat back, ring and pinion question.