Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

superchargers for mach1

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:04 PM
abnstang
1st Gear Member

Default superchargers for mach1

ok at the risk of sounding like a giant doucher....
is there a supercharger for the mach1 that will keep the shaker hood functional? i saw this http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featur...bra/index.html but dont know if it was logical. im not rich so money eventually become a problem... i did see that saleen came out with a "supershaker" for the s197's but would it work on a real mach???
Old 07-26-2009, 11:43 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

centri type blowers will allow you to keep it...
Old 07-27-2009, 01:01 AM
MTBer
1st Gear Member

Vortech makes a system that keeps the shaker functional. You end up paying about $5k for the supercharger, then another $600 for the duct work for the shaker.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=92
Old 08-03-2009, 09:39 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Hmm, I wonder if there would be any benefit to running custom air-tight intake piping from the scoop to the filter/maf on an n/a setup. And make the air filter completely contained in the piping. It would definitely make a nice woosh sound from the top of the hood , but would it be more restrictive and do more harm than good?
Old 08-03-2009, 09:47 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PaintballFreak
Hmm, I wonder if there would be any benefit to running custom air-tight intake piping from the scoop to the filter/maf on an n/a setup. And make the air filter completely contained in the piping. It would definitely make a nice woosh sound from the top of the hood , but would it be more restrictive and do more harm than good?
couldnt really drive it on a wet day as water would seep through the filter and run down to your Maf, ive always thought of this with a giant K&N filter in the shaker but it would have to be a garage queen for sunny days.

if only ford could have done a speed density system for this car to make it a direct shaker to the top of the manifold like a T/B in the base of the shaker underneath a filter all on top of a high rise intake manifold.

Last edited by I G Joe; 08-03-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:48 AM
grif62
2nd Gear Member

^ that would've been awesome
Old 08-04-2009, 01:48 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by I G Joe
couldnt really drive it on a wet day as water would seep through the filter and run down to your Maf, ive always thought of this with a giant K&N filter in the shaker but it would have to be a garage queen for sunny days.
I was thinking just replace the stock tubing before the airbox with some mandrel bent pieces (or plastic formed pieces to keep temps down) with silicon joints and then modify the stock air box with fiberglass or something so that it is air tight and the only source of air is from the scoop.

That's a good point about the water, I guess you would have to incorporate some sort of drain but then that would allow air in elsewhere. What do you think about the power gain potential? Is there any possible advantage to having an air-tight intake from the scoop?
Old 08-04-2009, 11:31 PM
hawwk11
3rd Gear Member

I was looking at the vortech kits today on superchargers online, and it says the reason they dont have the kits to keep the hood functional is because its for looks more than performance.

However; they do say that they are working on a kit that will keep the shaker functional.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:55 PM
abnstang
1st Gear Member

has anyone else seen the "supershaker" from saleen?...why would that work and still not suck up water?
Old 08-05-2009, 08:33 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

The shaker scoop only truly works at speeds (estimating) above 60mph where air is being rammed into it and the intake is actually creating enough vacuum for air to be chosen to flow that way. the shaker i feel does help somewhat, still ford could have came up with a better system for it to make it truly a functioning piece for performance, but they did what they did to save money and time for production reasons.

I do believe an airtight box would work in your terms as long as the air came in from the bottom of the box and went up through the filter this i suppose would eliminate the water problem. a small hole for drainage wouldnt hurt i suppose but who knows, with an airtight box it may try to suck air through that hole eliminating the purpose of that drain hole (if the engine drew enough vacuum)