Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Anyone else have fit problems with JLT ram air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:19 AM
MTBer
1st Gear Member

Default Anyone else have fit problems with JLT ram air intake?

I recently put one on my car and took it off 15 minutes later. The rubber elbow connecting the plastic intake tube to the throttle body rubbed on the strut tower, the silicone sleeve connecting the intake tube to the MAF housing rubbed on the valve cover, the piece connecting the shaker duct to the heat shield rubbed on the filter, damaging the filter's wire mesh, and the filter was too large to fit behind the headlight without rubbing on wires near the headlight as the engine moved.

Also, the way the rubber elbow is cut doesn't allow the intake tube to fit squarely; rather, it must be angled. Does everyone else with this intake just put up with the poor design? I might have kept it if I felt any power increase, but my car actually felt slower with it on.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:10 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

This is the reason why I didn't go with the JLT. Its a common problem.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:20 AM
grif62
2nd Gear Member

Well i got JLT and i have to admitt its a tight fit, did u take it off? if not u got any pics so i can check it out.

Last edited by grif62; 07-28-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:33 PM
MTBer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by grif62
Well i got JLT and i have to admitt its a tight fit, did u take it off? if not u got any pics so i can check it out.

Yeah, I took it off right when I got back after the first test drive. I just put on the K&N ram air intake. Fit and finish is far superior, and actually looks like it was designed professionally. I would recommend the K&N to anybody; the only problem I had was with the ridiculously short clamps that are used to connect the MAF housing to the intake tube. Other than that, the whole thing goes together very well unlike the JLT which had to be adjusted just right to fit poorly at best.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:58 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

had/have the issue with it touching the corner of the valve cover but I thought hell with it I like the idea of no curves in the inlet tube.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:04 PM
MTBer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rygi23
had/have the issue with it touching the corner of the valve cover but I thought hell with it I like the idea of no curves in the inlet tube.
I might have been able to put up with the rubbing on the valve cover and strut tower, but the cone was such a tight fit that when I revved the engine, even though the intake tube would move downward, the cone would actually flex upward.

With just a few slight changes, I think JLT could save people alot of headaches.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:18 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Originally Posted by rygi23
^^^
what he said just muscle it in there and call it a day
Old 07-30-2009, 04:30 PM
MTBer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by USMCrebel
^^^
what he said just muscle it in there and call it a day
Man, I tried. Like I said, I probably could have put up with the rubbing but even with everything tight, the car just didn't feel quite as snappy. 1500-3000rpm almost felt like a near stock GT vert I test drove a few months ago. Maybe I had a leak somehwere
Old 07-30-2009, 05:11 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Here's mine...

Old 07-30-2009, 11:58 PM
MTBer
1st Gear Member

Ryan, does the piece that connects the shaker duct to the heat shield come into contact with the filter? I wish that kit would have worked for me. That filter is a monster.

Still haven't figured out why JLT prints their logo upside down on the silicone sleeve..

Quick Reply: Anyone else have fit problems with JLT ram air intake?