Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Guys I really need your help.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Default Guys I really need your help.

alright I'll tell you the story start to finish. I was just getting out of work and we just had a long day, so we started getting a little rowdy and I told a guy at work that I would do a burnout if he did. So I go first and do a good burnout. Needless to say I was going a little fast so I hit the breaks and they were hardly there!!! I tried to turn the steering wheel to the right and it was a little hard so I pulled the e-brake up and ended up stopping fine but I bottomed out a little bit (I have bottomed out much harder than this before when I had my 96 gt; also in the same exact spot). So I backed up and parked and couldn't turn the wheel... Started to check things out and only notice a little splatter on the A-arms, but it looks old I think. Btw he didn't do anything after I killed my car lol. I drove it home(3 miles) and have maybe 20% brakes... What do you think happened? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Fstanggt96; 08-30-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:24 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

So, you're saying that you bottomed the car out and now have less braking power?

Bent or cracked line? Stuck caliper? Glazed (overheated) rotors? Check your fluid level and report back.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:17 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, except I think I lost power before I bottomed out. I really didn't hit too hard. I had a friend come look at it and he suggested a stuck caliper and over heated rotors, but really thinks it is a stuck caliper. Thats first on the list tomorrow. And for the power steering he believes it has something to do with the tensioner. He Thinks that while I was doing a burnout, the torque from the engine broke the tensioner and the heat from the breaks made the caliper get stuck. Sound plausible? Fluid levels are fine, power steering fluid is not leaking enough to drip onto the ground but it is leaking from two specific lines at the rubber grommet fitting that is located closest to the ground. When the car sits for a while, as it did when we were diagnosing the problem, the power steering comes back briefly. We also checked fuses and engine lights.

Last edited by Fstanggt96; 08-30-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:19 AM
Adam99gt
1st Gear Member

The brakes getting too hot sounds plausible, every time I do a burnout my ABS light comes on and it feels like the brakes dont work as well. As for the power steering I have no idea lol. I would try to fix those leaks in the hose because it might cause a vacuum leak and lose power that way. Again not 100% sure about that.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Ok so this morning I went out to see if it is still doing it and I have brakes and power steering momentarily and then its all gone. also when I start the car and then shut it off, then turn the keys all the way on but don't start it, it makes a weird kinda grind noise for about a second. Im guessing from some kinda pump???
Old 08-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Adam99gt
1st Gear Member

The noise when shuttting off the car is normal (I think). My car does the same thing if I shut off the car then turn the key to "on" without actually starting it. The only reason that I can think off the power steering and brakes working for a little bit then stopping is because there isn't as much pressure to everything when the car is cold and as the pressure builds itm allows more to leak out which would cause the loss of power.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Yeah mine has never made that noise before though. It sounds horrible. Do you know of any shops that are open on Sunday? Maybe Walts? Ill look in the phone book.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

I tested that noise I was talking about on my dads 04 lightning and it does the same exact thing... so it must be fine. Also the brakes and power steering work fine now????????? I don't know wtf happened but it works fine now. However, when im stopped and I have my foot on the brake while turning the steering wheel, the brake pedal pushes back. I don't think it has ever done that before. My power steering pump makes a lil more noise than it used to but its full of fluid.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:24 AM
Adam99gt
1st Gear Member

Now that is strange lol but sometimes things do fix themselves over time.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:52 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

To anybody that was interested in solving this problem...

Well I believe the problem with the brakes and power steering has something to do with the leak I have in my power steering pressure hose. I think the hose was spraying on my serpentine belt while I was doing the burnout and completely soaked it... Which would explain why it came back the next day; maybe it dried a little bit? Anyways, it just slips a little bit now and when it slips my power steering starts to go out a little bit. Problem solved I hope lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Guys I really need your help.