Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Ran the car today

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 11:28 PM
Sace
2nd Gear Member

Not to great... got there the weather was great.. first pass took it easy and pulled a 2.1 60 then missed 3rd.. a few times haha.. ended up running a 14.0 or something.. did a few more passes but it just got worse.. i went with a guy whos got a 5.0 that runs high 12's and both of us couldnt get traction for shiz. guys were complaining but they hadnt prepped the track in a while so the track was the enemy. was all good fun.. i went sideways every time i shifter 3rd and even broke loose in 4th.. and im only making 308 to the wheels... all in all the track prep was junk but still had a good time.. winters not to far away tho and the tracks closing so time to take the car off the road and start some mods.. i think im going to start with control arms, mt dr's, alum driveshaft.. i dont even want the drs so i can dump the clutch id just be nice to ride the clutch out of the hole and not worry about lighting them up through the gears. i dont plan on building the rear end anytime soon and i have 315's so i would have to take it easy running that size dr on a stock rear..

Last edited by Sace; 10-25-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:53 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sace
pulled a 2.1 60 then missed 3rd.. a few times haha.. ended up running a 14.0 or something.. did a few more passes but it just got worse.. i went with a guy whos got a 5.0 that runs high 12's and both of us couldnt get traction for shiz. guys were complaining but they hadnt prepped the track in a while so the track was the enemy. was all good fun.. i went sideways every time i shifter 3rd and even broke loose in 4th.. and im only making 308 to the wheels... all in all the track prep was junk but still had a good time.. winters not to far away tho and the tracks closing so time to take the car off the road and start some mods.. i think im going to start with control arms, mt dr's, alum driveshaft.. i dont even want the drs so i can dump the clutch id just be nice to ride the clutch out of the hole and not worry about lighting them up through the gears. i dont plan on building the rear end anytime soon and i have 315's so i would have to take it easy running that size dr on a stock rear..
Sounds like they're only spraying the 1st 60' if you're getting a not-to-shabby 2.1 short time but breaking 3rd loose. 275 DRs hook every bit as good as 315s. Buy 2 extra Mach wheels and 275 et streets, do a 1st gear clutch dump for a short burnout...and poof, your problems are solved (except missing gears). Don't dump it though, you'll bog even with 4.10s/4.30 so there's no sense in causing undo rear damage. You're times will improve from better grip with each shift, not just the starting line. Shift at 6700, 6500, 6300. It's all good man, you'll get her done. I'm still figuring my junk out, too. Ran 13.3 bonestock w/ street tires and ain't gone faster than a 13.1 with my mods...I'm pretty sure my clutch is poopoo now though. Rolling the clutch so many times with the stock gear sure takes it's toll. I plan on going the last 2 weeks the track is open. The first 2 mos. and last 2 mos. of the season is where it's at for the best times because of the cooler weather.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Mach1man
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like they don't believe in track prep in your part of the world. Are you reducing your rear tire pressures? Try dropping the rear pressures to the 20-22lbs. range, and upping the fronts to 38-40lbs. If you have the tools with you, unbolt the front sway bar, so the car can "squat" on it's rear and dig in. You also might want to get yourself a can of spray on VHT, and apply it to the tires in the staging lanes, and do a short burnout.

Drag radials will probably help you out a lot, but be careful you don't snap an axle on the line!
Old 10-28-2009, 01:53 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Ok i leave the line at 5-5.2k on street tires.i pull 2.0x 60's consistently and run 8.8-8.9 in 80*+ weather with 80% humidity...i don't miss gears often.
Scoot closer to the wheel
sit up straight
align your hips and feet
learn to feather the clutch (lots of practice)
shift hard and press the clutch hard when changing gears. i'll make a video next time im out at the track.

I've got .2-.3 left in the car as she sits, but weather and driver ability won't let me get it out.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Sace
2nd Gear Member

i did lower the tire pressure.. i appreciate the help rebel but i do everything by the book. i dont think its a matter of driver mod.. im not great but im not junk.. i swear without powershifting i broke loose in 3rd everytime and even once in fourth. i did everything from cleaning the tires off to roasting them for 5 plus seconds. i wouldnt even touch the gas on the launch just literally walk it out of the hole then mat it and still would break loose.. my bud after each pass had tons of rubber on his car.. i had so little rubber on mine after 5 passes that i could count the rubber specs on it.. i just need tires.. that will solve all.. btw going sideways in fourth is some scary shizz !.. my tires when it gets cool out at all are like hockey pucks.. it sucks im sick of it. even on the street i can roast my tires all day in different gears and im only pushing 300 hp

Last edited by Sace; 10-28-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:07 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

i don't believe in lower tire pressure in a street tire...a drag radial isn't steel belted like a street tire...but thats for a later discussion...get some in car video and outta car video of your next runs...we can do more with that