MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mach 1 Section (https://mustangforums.com/forum/mach-1-section-86/)
-   -   Small Problem (https://mustangforums.com/forum/mach-1-section/567947-small-problem.html)

treyg870 10-13-2009 11:47 AM

Small Problem

OK. I purchased my Mach 1 from a local, very reputable, Mercedes stealership last week. While I was doing the test drive I heard a medium-high pitched rubbing noise which sounded like it was coming from the rear of the car. The noise was very pronounced but only occurred when making slow, sharp turns (such as turning into a parking space or onto another road). The noise does not sound like tire rubbing, and there is no visual indication that any tires are making contact with anything other than the roadway. I pointed the sound out to the salesman and he stated that he heard it also. He actually got out of the vehicle and walked behind it while I did some slow circles in a parking lot. He said that the noise sounded like it was coming from the rear of the car. He told me that he would have the technicians check it when they did their final inspection if I were to decide to get the car.

Once we got back to the dealership we haggled over the Mach 1 and my GT for a little while and finally agreed on a deal. The techs took the Mach into service to complete their “160 point blah blah blah” inspection. They came back and said that the rear brake pads were worn and had been replaced. They believed that this would solve the rubbing noise. They said that they could not find any other problems. I, stupidly, assumed that they were correct and bought the car. I, again stupidly, did not have the salesman agree in writing to fix the rubbing if it had not been solved, nor did I perform another test drive to check. I signed the deal and my wife and I drove our new Mach 1 home.

When we left the stealership I listened for the rubbing noise. I did not hear a thing. Then, after about 20 minutes of easy driving, the noise returned. I can only assume that this is because the car had warmed up.

I took the car back to the dealership the next day and asked one of the techs, who supposedly races Mustangs, to check it again. He drove it around and upon his return said that he thinks it has something to do with the “quad shocks”. (I know enough about cars to know that these are involved with the rear suspension, but that’s the extent of my knowledge). The tech told this to the Sales manager who suggested that I take the car to a Ford dealership to have it checked. They made no offer to cover the expense.

I have three questions. Has anyone had a similar problem with their Mach? Any ideas could be causing this noise? Any suggestions on possible ways to convince the dealership to cover the cost?

The car is an ’03 5-speed with 56k on the clock. The carfax reports no wrecks or other problems. There have not been any mods as far as I can tell.

Sorry for the long post. I greatly appreciate any input ya’ll can give.

treyg870 10-14-2009 09:53 AM

No ideas?

PaintballFreak 10-14-2009 11:10 AM

Noises when turning at low speeds can be worn spider gears or bad wheel bearings. Is it worse when you turn a certain direction? If it's worse turning left, my guess is a bad right wheel bearing, and if right, a bad left wheel bearing. If the direction doesn't matter, I'm betting it's spider gears.

You might have better luck in the 4.6 tech section. Just give a good explanation of the sound and the conditions under which it occurs and leave out the fluff ;). Should generate some more responses.

Hope this helps!

darkmach1 10-14-2009 11:33 AM

Mine makes the same noice when making sharp right turns, I've had the ford dealer check it several times and they can't find anything. Now the car has a built rear, everything has been changed and the noice is still there, I just ignore it.

rygi23 10-14-2009 11:34 AM

It's so hard to get online help with these kinds of things because we can't hear exactly what the noise sounds like. New pads sometimes are a little noisy for the first couple days so rule that out first after some driving. Sounds like a bearing if not the pads. Also, with 56k are the tires excessively worn? Process of elimination sucks, but it does help you get more intune with the car's condition. Yup, doesn't matter if you're dealing with a dealership or a private owner, always get something in writing. Let us know what it ends up being, I'm curious myself. Good luck with it.

grif62 10-14-2009 11:55 AM

well for me, every right turn I make there was a clunk noise. I thought it was my exhaust so I grabbed the pipe to see if I can move it around, and I heard it banging into my car. Figured out that one of the clanges were loose and tighten up the bolts no noise since.

treyg870 10-14-2009 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by PaintballFreak (Post 6568471)
If the direction doesn't matter, I'm betting it's spider gears.

It makes the noise in both directions. I have a small suspicion that you're correct.

treyg870 10-14-2009 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by rygi23 (Post 6568529)
It's so hard to get online help with these kinds of things because we can't hear exactly what the noise sounds like. New pads sometimes are a little noisy for the first couple days so rule that out first after some driving. Sounds like a bearing if not the pads. Also, with 56k are the tires excessively worn? Process of elimination sucks, but it does help you get more intune with the car's condition. Yup, doesn't matter if you're dealing with a dealership or a private owner, always get something in writing. Let us know what it ends up being, I'm curious myself. Good luck with it.

The tires are brand new, so no signs of wearing yet. I think I have driven it enough to get the brakes broken in.

Somethin' tells me that this might be the perfect opportunity to step up to a better gear ratio! It would at least be a good excuse to give the wife!

PaintballFreak 10-14-2009 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by treyg870 (Post 6568950)
It makes the noise in both directions. I have a small suspicion that you're correct.

For your wallets sake, I hope not! The fact that they are just kind of whining/creaking and not making a clunk/popping sound, makes me unsure that it is the spider gears or at least think they aren't heavily damaged (yet). Your best move, I think, is to take it to a shop, and have them put it on a lift. Take the differential cover off and inspect the differential components for damage. This process alone shouldn't be too expensive. I would wait around and have them physically show you whether it is or isn't damaged. If it is and needs replaced I'd hop back on here and consult everyone to see what you should replace it with. Go to someone you trust (not the dealership you bought it from) and someone who knows Fords.

Stone629 10-14-2009 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by treyg870 (Post 6568950)

Start with cheap remedies first. It may just need some gear oil additive. I had my gears swapped once, and the guy put cheap gear oil in without any additive. It would grind and pop while turning in either direction. I went to Advance, bought a $5 bottle of additive, poured it in, did some slow figure 8s in the parking lot, and the problem was eliminated. Try it, it'll only cost you $5, and if anything, it'll rule that issue out.