Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Rygi needs y'alls opinion

Old 11-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I also agree that 35 rwhp is pushing it. I disagree on some of the other stuff, Mach1man. The stock exhaust on the Machs is a 2.25 inch exhaust, with less than that in the bends. Its the same exhaust mid-pipe and cat-back as the 2Vs. You're right about the port matched heads to manifolds, but from the flange back is all the same. LTs will give you 10 RWHP or so, the tune will give you 10 or so, so it all adds up. I could see a Mach possibly putting down 320 rwhp with LTs, x-pipe, the right mufflers or high flow cats, other basic boltons, and a good tune. I don't know enough about those cams to comment on them. I'm not real big on dyno numbers though. There's just way to much variance and fudging going on. I know these mods make a difference, but they don't seem to really show on a dyno. I say put those mods on a track and see what they really do.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Justinr1001
2nd Gear Member

I would love to see you hit low 12's man!
Old 11-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Mach1man
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
I also agree that 35 rwhp is pushing it. I disagree on some of the other stuff, Mach1man. The stock exhaust on the Machs is a 2.25 inch exhaust, with less than that in the bends. Its the same exhaust mid-pipe and cat-back as the 2Vs. You're right about the port matched heads to manifolds, but from the flange back is all the same. LTs will give you 10 RWHP or so, the tune will give you 10 or so, so it all adds up. I could see a Mach possibly putting down 320 rwhp with LTs, x-pipe, the right mufflers or high flow cats, other basic boltons, and a good tune. I don't know enough about those cams to comment on them. I'm not real big on dyno numbers though. There's just way to much variance and fudging going on. I know these mods make a difference, but they don't seem to really show on a dyno. I say put those mods on a track and see what they really do.
My bad. I stand corrected on the diameter of the stock exhaust, it is 2.25 inches. I haven't had a stock exhaust on my car for so long, I forgot that.

I do know that plenty of experimentation went on with exhaust systems on early delivery Mach 1's, and results were posted on Mach1Registry.com. What people found was that the most horsepower was gained in the mid-pipe area. Shorty headers were no better than the stock manifolds, however, some of the mid-length headers from Bassani and JBA, provided a bump of about 10-14rwhp on an otherwise stock Mach. Some people who installed longtubes without also swapping out their mid-pipes and catbacks, came out with a net loss of torque and very minimal hp gains.

I also agree that dyno numbers, while an excellent tuning device, don't mean much for getting down the quarter mile! I've seen 350hp cars run low 12's and 500hp cars run 14's, so there you go!
Old 11-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I'm going to see if I can find some of those results. I'm curious to see what all they found out. I swapped my mid yesterday for an off road x-pipe and ran it thru some resonators and I swear I lost a ton of torque. I went straight to a muffler shop and had some chambered mufflers put on and it felt like it regained the loss power. These cars are definitely finicky. Seems like opening them up too much is a bad thing, which maybe why the mid length headers work so well. I'm like you though, the stock manifolds are so good that I just can't see taking them off unless you're making big power like yours is.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:20 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mach1man
Sorry guys, but I have to disagree. I think you're looking for unrealistic horsepower gains from an exhaust system and intake cams. Your goal of knocking your e.t. down by several tenths is well within the realm of the mentioned upgrades, but don't look for a 35rwhp gain from longtube headers and intake cams, ain't gonna happen, unless somebody cooks the numbers at the dyno!

People tend to forget, this isn't a corked-up 4.6L 2 valve motor here! The Mach 1/Terminator "C" heads are some of the best flowing modular heads out there, both intake and exhaust. The exhaust ports are flow port matched to the exhaust manifolds, and 2.5 inch pipe all the way to the tips!

The only real noticable restriction occurs in the cats and the mufflers, which is why a good non-catted, or high flow catted x-pipe, and flow through mufflers will usually gain you double-digit horsepower and torque increases on the dyno. Once you've done that, and then throw in longtube headers, they kind of don't make that big a difference! You might see 15-18rwhp on a stock or mild bolt-on Mach 1.

I'm assuming you intend to stay naturally aspirated, because there is no mention of any power adders here. If you truly want to go fast, the single best, cheapest, and easiest bolt-on you could do would be a 100 shot of nitrous. You would be in the high 11 second bracket as the car sits right now, with no problem, and still have perfect street manners.
The stock exhaust is all 2.25". I'm not expecting 35 hp from longtubes and intake cams. I'm expecting it from longtubes, intake cams, a 2.5" X pipe w/ 2 hi-flow cats (instead of 2.25" H pipe w/ 4 cloggy ones), and a dynotune. I'd say it's a goal more than an expectation though, I'd be more than pleased with anything over 25. I understand where you're coming from though. I sometimes see people thinking full exhaust is like adding a 50 shot of nitrous or something. Anyways, it's all moot right now, so we'll see. I ain't doing nitrous because stock rear don't like it, lol.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:23 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Justinr1001
I would love to see you hit low 12's man!
****, man. I feel the love! Thx!
Old 11-20-2009, 05:25 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
I'm not real big on dyno numbers though. There's just way to much variance and fudging going on. I know these mods make a difference, but they don't seem to really show on a dyno. I say put those mods on a track and see what they really do.
+ whatever our national debt is. Right on.