Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Guys with superchargers, GTFIH!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:57 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Default Guys with superchargers, GTFIH!

Looks like I'll be getting a hefty chunk of money from my grandma's house (RIP) and I thought about using a bit of it towards a Procharger or something, and putting the rest of it away. So, with that being said, how much did it end up costing you all when it was all said and done - install, tuning, supporting mods (not talking about forged internals). I want to see what my options are as far as getting one that I can use on a stock block and be "safe".
Old 01-08-2010, 01:28 PM
mikedeuce6
1st Gear Member

Ive been looking at this concept too just as you are. I dont wanna get deep into my engine and the Vortech SC trim supercharger looked like the best option to me. But what do I know? These guys will definitely let you know whats up. I wanna know too.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:34 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Just over 4K. Eaton swap.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:02 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikedeuce6
Ive been looking at this concept too just as you are. I dont wanna get deep into my engine and the Vortech SC trim supercharger looked like the best option to me. But what do I know? These guys will definitely let you know whats up. I wanna know too.
Yeah, same here. Trying to grasp some knowledge on this stuff now that I'm able financially able to get myself into one. Knowing the world of modifications though, when you feel like you're in a position to obtain the once unobtainable, you're probably wrong, like I always am lol. I'll be getting about 10k from my grandmother's house, so we'll see what I can do with about half of that.

Originally Posted by darkmach1
Just over 4K. Eaton swap.
I thought about doing that. I'd have to hold out on a complete kit that shows up every now and again. Know way I'm going on that easter egg hunt.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I know its not exactly the same thing, but I did a D1SC on a Z28 a few years ago. It had the 8 rib pulley, ATI dampner, twin 4 inch air-air coolers, chrome airbox, etc. It ran be about $6600. It made good power though, over 500rwhp at 9lbs. If you just want to run a little boost, but not really wanting to get into forging, etc, then a P1 or equivalent will suffice. The kit I got was one of the more expensive ones. You should be able to get set-up for around $4500 with a nice Vortech or P1SC. My advice is to go with a self contained unit and make sure you keep the air cool. Screw tapping the oil pan and risking leaks, stoppages, etc.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:34 PM
sinister99GT
2nd Gear Member

i have a 99 gt 2 valve , it had 104,000 miles on it when i put a kenne bell 2.1 liter on it. i have driven a little more than 1000 miles since i put it on, the block is stock and as long as you dont keep your foot in it nonstop it should last for a while.it was on a dyno today, 408 hp and 456 ft-lbs of torque.the kit was 5000.00 and worth every penny, took 20 + hours to install but wasent to bad.kenne bell.net has some good info if you want a fun street car, you want a kenne bell, plus they look cool !
Old 01-08-2010, 06:50 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HamMach1

I thought about doing that. I'd have to hold out on a complete kit that shows up every now and again. Know way I'm going on that easter egg hunt.
If your're interested get a hold of LooknGo on M1R, he'll put one together for you.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:36 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Originally Posted by HamMach1
Looks like I'll be getting a hefty chunk of money from my grandma's house (RIP) and I thought about using a bit of it towards a Procharger or something, and putting the rest of it away. So, with that being said, how much did it end up costing you all when it was all said and done - install, tuning, supporting mods (not talking about forged internals). I want to see what my options are as far as getting one that I can use on a stock block and be "safe".
Sorry to hear about your Gmom

new your going to be in the 5800-6800 range for everything. The block will be fine...you probably won't ever make enough to warrant a care about it, but the internals are the same as the GT internals and they are craptastic!
Old 01-08-2010, 08:59 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Sorry bout your grandmother. Watch it man, 10k goes quick...I just went through 12k. I don't know alot about boost either. But I do know that most say keep it under 6 lbs or the rods will become bottle rockets in a very short time. I know a guy who ran 14 lbs w/ a procharger and stock bottom end.........for 200 miles.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:49 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

I think I'm going to go a different route. Too much of a liability. Maybe just get some longtubes and a tune or something. I can't really think of anything else to do with the car.

Quick Reply: Guys with superchargers, GTFIH!