Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Member needs help (Fstanggt96 )

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shaken
Does your tuner show coolant temps when data logging or fan temp settings?. From your description of the gauge it seems to be in the normal range. My thoughts where maybe a stuck open thermostat and the slow raising engine temps causing extra fuel consumption.
I dont think it shows that stuff, its just the $379 handheld SCT flash tuner from AM. I usually let my car warm up for about 10 minutes atleast before I drive anywhere.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

I went to the dealership and asked the service department when I should start doing tune-ups and it looks like im good until about 75k miles... Maybe I just need to do some more highway driving lol...
Old 01-28-2010, 01:57 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I get around 280-300 miles out of a tank around town with half that being interstate driving, but its completely flat country here. I shift between 2-3k on average. When I roll up to see my pops in the NC mountains, it all goes to shat with a quickness. Once I hit those mountains my gas literally gets cut in half. Makes sense though, the engine is doing 2-3 times the amount of work up there and with all the up and down shifting, there's no such thing as cruising in 5th gear, not much anyway.

Basically this... Machs get good MPG under the right conditions, like cruising flat road at 70 mph, or putting around town at 1-2k rpm, but once you start getting it into its powerband, or driving up and down hills, it starts sucking gas pretty good. IMO, your tune is fine. If anything, your mods helped your MPG. You may want to look into some 4.10s to help take the load off your engine on those hills. It may help, maybe.

Last edited by Stone629; 01-28-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Yup, 4.10's sound good lol. Will deff. fix it I think Thats what I'll tell my Dad when I am trying to persuade him to let me do it lol! I think your spot on with the up-hill stuff. I gotta buy tires first though, and since im buying tires... Why not buy wheels while I'm at it lol. Im getting staggered 18" Black Saleens wrapped in the Nitto triple nickels in about a month.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:30 PM
sicride
2nd Gear Member

If you are letting the car warm up for at least 10 minutes before driving it each time, that is exactly why your gas mileage is horrible. It takes gas to warm up sitting there and you're getting 0 miles per gallon the whole time, every time. If you want to protect the engine start it up and sit there for about a minute maybe until the RPM's at idle drop a little bit, then drive conservatively until the temperature is up. I promise if you stop letting it idle in the driveway you will see at least a 3mpg increase if what you say is true.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:31 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fstanggt96
I dont think it shows that stuff, its just the $379 handheld SCT flash tuner from AM. I usually let my car warm up for about 10 minutes atleast before I drive anywhere.
You should look on craiglist. I found my SCT X3 powerflash there, the guys was asking 175 for it but I didn't ask if it was locked over the phone(on purpose), I meet up with him plug it up to my car and just as I thought it was locked so I showed him a brand spanking new $100 bill and said, "take it or leave it, its gonna cost me $200+ to get this thing unlocked", he accepted, but it only costs $150 to unlock,LOL. $379<$250.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:15 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkmach1
You should look on craiglist. I found my SCT X3 powerflash there, the guys was asking 175 for it but I didn't ask if it was locked over the phone(on purpose), I meet up with him plug it up to my car and just as I thought it was locked so I showed him a brand spanking new $100 bill and said, "take it or leave it, its gonna cost me $200+ to get this thing unlocked", he accepted, but it only costs $150 to unlock,LOL. $379<$250.
^^^Haha, owned! No I already have an SCT lol.

sicride -Maybe 10 minutes is too long but I can tell a difference in rivability between letting the idle drop and then driving vs letting it warm up for 5-10 minutes. Makes me feel like I take better car of it lol, I'm weird like that. I'm the kinda person who thinks he hears a wierd noise when in reality it is probably nothing lol.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:43 AM
sicride
2nd Gear Member

Well the worst part is starting the car of course. Maybe you could invest in a block heater and an auxilary oil pump so you can get the oil pumping through the engine and warming up before you even burn any gas. lol. You really aren't going to hurt anything driving like the average person when the engine is cold but oil pressure is up.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sicride
Well the worst part is starting the car of course. Maybe you could invest in a block heater and an auxilary oil pump so you can get the oil pumping through the engine and warming up before you even burn any gas. lol. You really aren't going to hurt anything driving like the average person when the engine is cold but oil pressure is up.
Yeah probly not but I notice in the morning when its cold and im late for school or whatever and I take off, it falls on its face a little. Feels like it doesnt want to go all out, you know what I mean? Plus the car sounds different i noticed, or at least I think I noticed lol. If I drive calmly until it warms up, the engine sounds deaper. If I just go it sounds like it gets a little more high pitched and stay that way. Its hard to explain and my dad always just says dont worry about it but thats why I warm her up. How big are our gas tanks? 15.4g or more like 13?
Old 02-01-2010, 04:30 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

I THINK they are 14.5G.

Quick Reply: Member needs help (Fstanggt96 )