Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

So im pretty pissed right now...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 12:34 PM
JDraper
2nd Gear Member

No, It's not personal, I just hate seeing people whine about the quality of a car when they don't know what the problem is. You came out bitching about the car not being able to handle how you drive it and that the build quality sucks, but you don't know what the previous owner's did to the vehicle. It's very likely that the modifications to the vehicle and the way it's been driven in the past are causing your current problems.

Again..have you had the a/f ratio checked? With the mods you have, you could be running the car very lean or very rich, and that could cause your stalling problems. It could also cause you to have major engine failure down the line if it's not corrected. These cars produce great power for the displacement they have, but the pistons don't take detonation well at all.

As for your front end noise, from the pictures, the car looks like it might be lowered. If it is lowered and still running on the stock struts, that will cause the struts to fail and cause your problems. It can also cause balljoint issues if the lowering wasn't done correctly. Even if it's not, 50k+ miles on the car could have easily worn out some of the suspension components (ball joints, struts, sway bar endlinks), especially if it was driven hard in it's previous life. Any of those components going out can cause a clunking in the front.

Does it have aftermarket CC plates? If they aren't installed correctly, that can cause a clunk out of the top of the struts on bumps.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDraper
No, It's not personal, I just hate seeing people whine about the quality of a car when they don't know what the problem is. You came out bitching about the car not being able to handle how you drive it and that the build quality sucks, but you don't know what the previous owner's did to the vehicle. It's very likely that the modifications to the vehicle and the way it's been driven in the past are causing your current problems.

Again..have you had the a/f ratio checked? With the mods you have, you could be running the car very lean or very rich, and that could cause your stalling problems. It could also cause you to have major engine failure down the line if it's not corrected. These cars produce great power for the displacement they have, but the pistons don't take detonation well at all.

As for your front end noise, from the pictures, the car looks like it might be lowered. If it is lowered and still running on the stock struts, that will cause the struts to fail and cause your problems. It can also cause balljoint issues if the lowering wasn't done correctly. Even if it's not, 50k+ miles on the car could have easily worn out some of the suspension components (ball joints, struts, sway bar endlinks), especially if it was driven hard in it's previous life. Any of those components going out can cause a clunking in the front.

Does it have aftermarket CC plates? If they aren't installed correctly, that can cause a clunk out of the top of the struts on bumps.
The suspension is 100% stock, no CC plates or any of that. Every mod is listed in my signature. I have not had the a/f ratio checked. It has a BAMA or whoever does AM tunes for my current mod list, I understand that this is a canned tune and isn't the best. I pay around $750 per month to have this car, when it has problems I'm going to bitch about them. Yes I can afford it but that is still a large amount of money. You said something about me selling my car to someone who will appreciate it.. I'll have you know that it gets a full detail(besides undercarriage) every Sunday, and I even wash it in the rain. I have put Shell gasoline in it since I bought it and nothing else, and I park in the back of the parking lot so that someone doesn't hit it with their door. Don't ever tell me I don't appreciate the things I own. And in case you are wondering, This is MY car, not a hand out from Mommy or Daddy. I'm not your typical "punk kid" I graduated with high honors last year and work very hard for everything I have.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
My front end in cobra was making a popping sound, kind of how your are describing it and I couldn't figure out what it was. So I had my uncle who is a mechanic look at it and it turned out I need new Steering Rack Bushings.
+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Cliffyk has a write-up on this fix and I had to perform it on my car and it worked like a charm. The bushings are actually fine its a design flaw on the part of Ford. The Roll-pins in there are too long to accommodate for the bushings weathering over time. Take the roll-pins out(one on each side) and saw 1/8th of an inch or so off of them and put them back in. Costs $0 to fix.

Here is the link to cliffy's write-up. http://paladinmicro.com/PalMFrame00.htm?wks=rak

The Ford part number he has listed there is actually a matching roll-pin to what you already have it is no shorter so dont bother buying it. Just cut your current roll-pins.

Heres a link to the noise my rack was making. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WQ-C8hwXhc

Search isnt working too well right now. Apparently there isn't one thread with the word "steering" or "car" in the entire forums LOL.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Cliffyk has a write-up on this fix and I had to perform it on my car and it worked like a charm. The bushings are actually fine its a design flaw on the part of Ford. The Roll-pins in there are too long to accommodate for the bushings weathering over time. Take the roll-pins out(one on each side) and saw 1/8th of an inch or so off of them and put them back in. Costs $0 to fix.

Here is the link to cliffy's write-up. http://paladinmicro.com/PalMFrame00.htm?wks=rak

The Ford part number he has listed there is actually a matching roll-pin to what you already have it is no shorter so dont bother buying it. Just cut your current roll-pins.

Heres a link to the noise my rack was making. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WQ-C8hwXhc

Search isnt working too well right now. Apparently there isn't one thread with the word "steering" or "car" in the entire forums LOL.
Ok thanks man, my steering rack isn't quite that loud but the noise I was talking about is a different noise and its way louder than that.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:59 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

i would have to agree with the OP, he sounds like he takes good care of the vehicle, and is not "bitching" about anything, he is simply asking questions trying to figure out why his car is doing what it is doing.

Just a thought, maybe take it to advanced and see if the car is throwing any codes
Old 05-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kweb288
i would have to agree with the OP, he sounds like he takes good care of the vehicle, and is not "bitching" about anything, he is simply asking questions trying to figure out why his car is doing what it is doing.

Just a thought, maybe take it to advanced and see if the car is throwing any codes
I have an SCT hand held tuner, would it be throwing different codes that I cannot see or read from the "check engine" light?
Old 05-02-2010, 03:42 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

probably not, but i am not too familiar with these engines yet.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Only one thing to do....Sell it!
Old 05-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
Only one thing to do....Sell it!
Thinkin about it... Move on to something new... I'd love to do Auto-X! Ima try and see if I can fix her first though. What should I buy then Mustang3GT07???

- BTW it almost stalled again today... down to 400 rpm just sitin there...
Old 05-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fstanggt96
Thinkin about it... Move on to something new... I'd love to do Auto-X! Ima try and see if I can fix her first though. What should I buy then Mustang3GT07???

- BTW it almost stalled again today... down to 400 rpm just sitin there...
It kind of depends what your budget is. I know myself and other people tell you get the 2011 5.0 but I honestly think you will end up paying $38k+ for one, and IMO that is a lot of money for a mustang. I would never spend over $35k for a damn mustang. Another option would be a 03/04 cobra, but I don't know if you want to try something different. The terminator has the IRS and once you build it up a little it would be great for AutoX and it would withstand a beating alot better then the mach, I know because I've owned both. I loved my mach but IMO, the terminator is a whole other animal lol. If your looking for something outside the stang world, you could look into a sti, evo, or even a 350z.

Quick Reply: So im pretty pissed right now...