Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

FRONT BUMPER COBRA SWAP

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:15 PM
2003redmach1

Default FRONT BUMPER COBRA SWAP

Got a new project going guys. Plan on getting rid of the stock front bumper I have now and getting a 2003-04 cobra front bumper installed. Never done this but I have seen a few machs out there with this conversion. My guess would be to just buy a cobra front bumper, paint it and slap it on. But my guess is that it probably doesnt work that way.

So if any of you Mach 1 guys have doen this before successfully and know what parts and stuff you need, please hit me up. Appreciate any help guys. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Check out SVTPerformance.com, They have a lot of part-outs and I bet you could find a great condition bumper with fogs and all for a decent price.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:45 PM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

Hey you would be surprised, it really goes on pretty dang easy... there is only one spot that you kind of have to do a little modification to get it to fit nice and tight. on both sides of the grill where the bumper tucks under the hood you have to push on those and drill a new hold for the clip to hold them on and that is it
Old 09-27-2010, 01:48 PM
2003redmach1

So do I just need the bumper, or do I have to get new fog lights and bolts? I have a torch red mach 1 so would you recommend getting a pre-painted bumper or get one that is not painted and have someone do it?

Oh and how long did it take you to do the bumper swap? I saw your picks and all the tools everywhere. the stang looks badass though. two thumbs up!
Old 09-27-2010, 01:50 PM
2003redmach1

Not gonna lie, I looked at that page and didnt find anything on it about getting a new bumper. could you tell me where on that site you found those products? maybe they aren't there anymore.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:07 PM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2003redmach1
So do I just need the bumper, or do I have to get new fog lights and bolts? I have a torch red mach 1 so would you recommend getting a pre-painted bumper or get one that is not painted and have someone do it?

Oh and how long did it take you to do the bumper swap? I saw your picks and all the tools everywhere. the stang looks badass though. two thumbs up!
So a full list of parts you will need are the bumper itself (the painting situation is your call), two cobra fog light bezels (the black pieces around the fog light), two cobra fogs (make sure you get the right year and they usually cost about 45 a piece unless you can find some used ones), two fog light pig tails (or wiring harnesses, whatever you want to call them, they will have to be spliced on because the bulbs have two different plugs on them)... may also need two bumper brackets depending on if the bumper you purchase comes with them or not, can get them at late model resto for like 25 a piece

all in all it shouldn't take too long at all to do, the tools i would suggest are a socket wrench set, screw driver, jack and blocks, and a drill to put in the two new necessary holes... all the tools lying around in my picture were just because I was working in a maintenance area that works on semis...

I want to say that is everything