Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Whining noise in my rear end

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:58 AM
theforsaken

Default Whining noise in my rear end

Ok...Im hearing a whining noise coming from what sounds like my rear end. I bought this 2003 mach 1 used from a dealership about 3 weeks ago with 41K miles on it. all i know is it had K&N filter, borla stinger exhaust and i just installed a pro 5.0 the other day (and my friend says he is def sure it has a stage 2 clutch, but i dunno). ive heard the whine since i bought it but never really paid attention to it till now. it seems to be the most noticable at 40-50 mph and when not under hard acceleration....i dont think it has gears in it, but i dunno....any ideas??
Old 09-09-2010, 03:25 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by theforsaken
Ok...Im hearing a whining noise coming from what sounds like my rear end. I bought this 2003 mach 1 used from a dealership about 3 weeks ago with 41K miles on it. all i know is it had K&N filter, borla stinger exhaust and i just installed a pro 5.0 the other day (and my friend says he is def sure it has a stage 2 clutch, but i dunno). ive heard the whine since i bought it but never really paid attention to it till now. it seems to be the most noticable at 40-50 mph and when not under hard acceleration....i dont think it has gears in it, but i dunno....any ideas??
Backlash or pinion angle might be set wrong or the diff. bearings were not preloaded correctly, take it back. Does it have LCAs? What gears? Its most likely backlash too tight, but if you're planning on racing the car, a little tight is the way to go.

Last edited by darkmach1; 09-09-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:44 PM
mestit3
2nd Gear Member

almost has to be gears/gear install for a stock car with that kind of mileage.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:23 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mestit3
almost has to be gears/gear install for a stock car with that kind of mileage.
Yes more than likely someone went in there and didn't do it right.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:17 AM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Very very very very very common with our cars, that rearend noise is, every Mach 1 I have driven does it, nothing to worry about if it isnt defening lol. Mine does it too and its fine.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:06 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fstanggt96
Very very very very very common with our cars, that rearend noise is, every Mach 1 I have driven does it, nothing to worry about if it isnt defening lol. Mine does it too and its fine.
Very common yes, right no. Always make sure that the shop you're having do any rear work isn't known for gear whine, if they know what they're doing the gears wont whine.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkmach1
Very common yes, right no. Always make sure that the shop you're having do any rear work isn't known for gear whine, if they know what they're doing the gears wont whine.
Oh yeah definately, but Im just saying I have stock 3.55 gears and they whine and I have drivin two other 2004 Mach 1's with stock gears and they whined too lol. When I do gears I will make sure they dont whine this time around because it does get annoying sometimes...
Old 09-26-2010, 06:35 PM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

I had that problem a while back when my car had about 85k miles on it, ended up being that my bearings in the rear end were shot, get that looked at because the last thing anyone wants is a locked up rear end
Old 10-01-2010, 01:09 AM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by machracer11
I had that problem a while back when my car had about 85k miles on it, ended up being that my bearings in the rear end were shot, get that looked at because the last thing anyone wants is a locked up rear end
When your bearings were shot dit they make a kinda metal grinding/vibrating sound at lower(maybe 1200-1500 rpm) in every gear? My car started a few weeks ago making a terrible noise other than the usual humming noise and I cant tell if it is the rearend or the tranny? Might try and get a video up this weekend...
Old 10-01-2010, 09:45 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Originally Posted by darkmach1
Backlash or pinion angle might be set wrong or the diff. bearings were not preloaded correctly, take it back. Does it have LCAs? What gears? Its most likely backlash too tight, but if you're planning on racing the car, a little tight is the way to go.
^this

Quick Reply: Whining noise in my rear end