Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Mach has a new noise...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 02:41 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I believe the only way to fix it is to tear into the head and replace the valve guides that are worn out.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:31 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Get the evenflow cooling mod and get boost, forget Evo. Do in this order, of course completing the 2nd step will automatically trigger the start of the 3rd.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Blackened04
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fstanggt96
Yeah everytime I have asked Korum about something it has been a joke, I go to TMS in Auburn now and they look at my car without charge. Sounds like the exact same tick I have...
I had TMS check it out too and the option was the head cooling mod. It probably wont fix the noise but at least it will keep the head cooler. I think they quoted me around $400 to do the mod. I don't plan on adding boost to the car so the head should be fine for now. I have no traction at all from 1st through 2nd anyhow so I need to think about getting some 11" wheels in the rear. I was going through the gears hard the other day and could feel the rear kick out slightly when I shifted into 4th. The BFGoodrich G-force tires I have on are almost brand new too. I think if you added 4.10s to your car and some sticky tires it would be a nice upgrade and you could probably hang with most Evo's/STI's off the line and take it home.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:25 AM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackened04
I had TMS check it out too and the option was the head cooling mod. It probably wont fix the noise but at least it will keep the head cooler. I think they quoted me around $400 to do the mod. I don't plan on adding boost to the car so the head should be fine for now. I have no traction at all from 1st through 2nd anyhow so I need to think about getting some 11" wheels in the rear. I was going through the gears hard the other day and could feel the rear kick out slightly when I shifted into 4th. The BFGoodrich G-force tires I have on are almost brand new too. I think if you added 4.10s to your car and some sticky tires it would be a nice upgrade and you could probably hang with most Evo's/STI's off the line and take it home.
Yeah I already have Nitto NT555 285's on 10 inch wheels on the rear and dont lose traction even in first but to be honest I havent revved my car past 3k rpm since I heard the lifter tick so I will not be hanging with any Evo's anytime soon lol. The point of getting an STi or Evo btw, is not to become faster... Oh and on a side note my Dad said my insurence adjuster would raise my insurence $1000/ year by moving up to an STi/Evo and I already pay $3864/year(SPOTLESS RECORD!!!) soooooooooo............ I think my dad is Bull****ting me. LOL.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Blackened04
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fstanggt96
Yeah I already have Nitto NT555 285's on 10 inch wheels on the rear and dont lose traction even in first but to be honest I havent revved my car past 3k rpm since I heard the lifter tick so I will not be hanging with any Evo's anytime soon lol. The point of getting an STi or Evo btw, is not to become faster... Oh and on a side note my Dad said my insurence adjuster would raise my insurence $1000/ year by moving up to an STi/Evo and I already pay $3864/year(SPOTLESS RECORD!!!) soooooooooo............ I think my dad is Bull****ting me. LOL.
Man you pay way too much in premiums, but it seems about right if you're under 20. Let me guess you have Farmers? I was paying insane premiums a couple years back and then I switched over to Safeco. I have full coverage on my Mach 1, a Mazda 3, and pretty decent coverage on a Nissan Maxima and my monthly premium is $210. I have a perfect driving record as well... somehow. It pays to shop around, I'm sure you can find cheaper insurance. Another thing you may want to consider: I was reading on another forum and one of the members posted some maintenance costs on his Evo (why he got rid of it). He said he went through tires every 10-15k miles and they are about $1,000; clutches every 15k - 20k miles (must be a bad driver), and brakes pads and rotors 10-15k miles. Maybe this guy is full of ****, i don't know. If you're on any kind of budget you might want to consider these costs.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackened04
Man you pay way too much in premiums, but it seems about right if you're under 20. Let me guess you have Farmers? I was paying insane premiums a couple years back and then I switched over to Safeco. I have full coverage on my Mach 1, a Mazda 3, and pretty decent coverage on a Nissan Maxima and my monthly premium is $210. I have a perfect driving record as well... somehow. It pays to shop around, I'm sure you can find cheaper insurance. Another thing you may want to consider: I was reading on another forum and one of the members posted some maintenance costs on his Evo (why he got rid of it). He said he went through tires every 10-15k miles and they are about $1,000; clutches every 15k - 20k miles (must be a bad driver), and brakes pads and rotors 10-15k miles. Maybe this guy is full of ****, i don't know. If you're on any kind of budget you might want to consider these costs.
Lol, I have worked at Discount tires for over three years now and dont have a problem with tire expenses, plus im pretty sure he never rotated his tires if his tires lasted 15-20k miles... I have heard that clutches go early, and I can understand break expenses because they're Brembos but maybe he was replacing with high performance(faster deterierating) breaks lol. I insure through Country Wide with my parents along with discounts such as good grade discounts and multiple policies and all that junk...