Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Good Deal On Mach Or Nightmare Waiting To Happen

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 09:39 PM
'02gtgarrett
2nd Gear Member

Default Good Deal On Mach Or Nightmare Waiting To Happen

Alright guys so i have been tossing around the thought of getting rid of my 07 GTCS (auto) in favor of a manual car of equal or more value, rarity, and power. I found this on autotrader and saw it as a good deal. The carfax says that it has had 5 owners and has had an accident. Here is a Copy/Paste from the car fax

Accident reported
Involving right side impact
Vehicle struck by another motor vehicle
Vehicle disabled
Vehicle towed

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=2&Log=0

What do you guys think?

It doesn't really bother me as long as it was repaired correctly but should i just keep my CS which is accident free? My GTCS is an automatic and has some road rash and 76k miles. By the looks of it, this mach has no road rash, is manual, and has 38,000 miles.
I could sell my CS for around 15k and get the mach for probably around 13k give or take a few bucks.

What do you guys think i should do?
Old 08-09-2013, 12:21 AM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

You're not serious, are you?

Read your post out loud. Read it twice and real slow you you'll understand all the big words. Does it make any sense whatsoever? Get rid of a newer car that you know is in good shape for a WRECKED FIVE OWNER OLDER CAR?

WINNING!

Run, Forrest.

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 08-09-2013 at 03:33 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:31 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

5 owners... that triggers a big no in my book... i would keep looking.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:46 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Vehicle disabled and towed? That means it was enough of an accident to turn me off of it. If you can't find anything you like right now, just take your time and wait it out or else you're going to end up in a bad situation. I assume that the GT/CS being your dad's is in good condition. No need to throw that away for a car that's been around the world twice and wrecked.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

The accident occurred with the first driver and the car has been passed around like a cheap good looking hooker ever since. The accident itself was bad enough (vehicle disabled) but the fact it's been owned by four other people since then tells me there is something wrong with the car.

Pass, pass, pass.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:09 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

It's a pretty big red flag for sure. However if your interested in the car I would do two things. The fist go down and check it out, climb under that car right in the dealership. Make sure everything looks straight nothings bent. Second have it taken into a ford dealership and have them do a full inspection on the car to make sure its in perfect running order.
Also if you have any mustang shops in that area I would have it taken in there too. Have that car stress tested before you buy it have them run it on the dyno if that's even possible. Running it that hard to redline will bring out any problems. You would have to have that dealership agree to something like that though.

My 72 Mach1 hit a pole back in the 70s by its first owner. I knew that going into it, have not got around to fixing the frame damage yet but the cars being restored so its not really a concern of mine. If this cars going to be a DD for you make certain there is nothing wrong with it before you get it. Like everyone else said 5 owners is a red flag could be something going on with the car. But if your making a show car and can afford to fix the problems then why not. It can all be replaced just takes money and since we all have those money trees in our backyards.........
Old 08-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
It's a pretty big red flag for sure. However if your interested in the car I would do two things. The fist go down and check it out, climb under that car right in the dealership. Make sure everything looks straight nothings bent. Second have it taken into a ford dealership and have them do a full inspection on the car to make sure its in perfect running order.
Also if you have any mustang shops in that area I would have it taken in there too. Have that car stress tested before you buy it have them run it on the dyno if that's even possible. Running it that hard to redline will bring out any problems. You would have to have that dealership agree to something like that though.

My 72 Mach1 hit a pole back in the 70s by its first owner. I knew that going into it, have not got around to fixing the frame damage yet but the cars being restored so its not really a concern of mine. If this cars going to be a DD for you make certain there is nothing wrong with it before you get it. Like everyone else said 5 owners is a red flag could be something going on with the car. But if your making a show car and can afford to fix the problems then why not. It can all be replaced just takes money and since we all have those money trees in our backyards.........
IF you choose to do the above, be sure to check with your insurance for a clean title. Most insurance companies won't insure Salvage titles and require that Rebuilt titles go through their own process to certify safety.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by Derf00
The accident occurred with the first driver and the car has been passed around like a cheap good looking hooker ever since. The accident itself was bad enough (vehicle disabled) but the fact it's been owned by four other people since then tells me there is something wrong with the car.

Pass, pass, pass.
The motor mounts have been replaced and it's been auctioned once.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

I can understand buying a 1972 Mach 1 that's been in an accident, but there is no reason buy an accident damaged '03 - '04. There are plenty of straight ones out here.

The OP can't afford a straight 33,000 mile Mach 1, so he's hoping a few guys will tell him not to worry about the accident, the five owners, the motor mounts and the auction, "cause it's a screamin' deal, Dude!"

If he can't afford $18,000 for an unbent Mach, he sure as he'll can't afford to fix on a $13,000 Mach 1.