Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Mach 1 Ticking Noise At Idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 04:57 AM
JROCars

Default Mach 1 Ticking Noise At Idle

So my 2003 Mach 1 has a ticking noise when idling. Some people after listening to it thought it was an engine knock, but the reason I don't believe its a knock is because once I start pushing in the clutch, even if its not fully depressed, the ticking goes away completely. Someone also said it could be an exhaust leak, but the fact that the ticking goes away when I push in the clutch leads me to believe that its something in the drivetrain. We recently got a new clutch in the car, and ive been told that the throwout bearings that come with aftermarket clutches can go bad pretty fast? I don't know a ton about this stuff, just enough to get by. So if anyone has any input let me know!

Also side note: the ticking used to be a sort of squeaking noise, so we took it to the shop and they lubed up the throwout bearing and the noise went away. Now its back, in the same pattern, but a ticking rather than a squeaking. Any and all input is appreciated! Thank you
Old 01-17-2017, 12:34 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Sounds like something in throw out bearing. If it's recently been replaced I would give them a shout out to whoever installed it.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:48 PM
C1Forged
Former Sponsor

If its a tick similar to rod knock, it could be your transmission. Had a similar noise in a WRX, drained the transmission fluid and found a chipped tooth from what ended up being 2nd gear.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:31 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by movielover40
Sounds like something in throw out bearing. If it's recently been replaced I would give them a shout out to whoever installed it.
Agreed.