Massachusetts Regional Chapter Chapter President: Torch_Vert

Mass Chit-Chat

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 11:50 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
I've heard of padding a resume before, but that's ridiculous. Maybe he has 25 years experience building helpdesk furniture?

The lowliest twit behind the computer service counter at Best Buy or Staples for even two weeks knows how to adjust/verify an IP address, and at least are aware Regedit exists. And hell, most young *children* know how to swap a desktop background...

You have my sympathy man...
I asked one of the ladies here who has 0 computer knowhow to find her IP address, and she did it in 5min.

After 15, I had to tell this guy. Then 10min later I had him do it on another computer, and it took him 8 to find it.

It just puts me in a crappy situation because I'll have to triple check everything because I can't trust what he does. And my supervisor is on vacation, but I think this sort of thing warrants an email to let him know whats going on.

Ugh
Old 08-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197GT07
And my supervisor is on vacation, but I think this sort of thing warrants an email to let him know whats going on.

Ugh
I would say it certainly does. This guy seemingly lied through his teeth to get the job. I think your supervisor needs to know asap.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:10 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Super busy with work/life.

I acquired a minion at work, and he's nothing short of slightly retarded.

Paul, you would appreciate this, his resume states he has 25 years of IT helpdesk and troubleshooting experience. So I need him to help out with some cyber stuff were doing.

First thing I ask when he's at a laptop is to verify the IP address. After 15min, and me trying to help out with the "warmer, colder" game, I gave up. Its been quite the headache.

regedit? Didn't know what that was

Changing desktop background? Nope

Billy also finally got a tune thats working, and he was about to do some final dialing in when his tensioner snapped when they tried to replace the belt. What a mess.

Rashad, I need those mufflers so I can start the dissassembly of my car. Let me know when we can meet up.
Hahah, I work in hardware QA for one of the biggest computer companies in the world, and I had the same thing happen. They hired this kid to work with me in my group. I turned around one time to see him seconds away from yanking a card out of a computer while it was still on, so I rolled over really quick and turned it off and told him to be careful or he's going to fry some very expensive hardware or himself. 5 minutes later he wanted to know how to "get the picture back on the screen".

I wrote out a list of steps to test one of the systems which included mounting a shared drive, copying some files, and running the installer. He had to use that piece of paper EVERY SINGLE TIME he ran a test for the month or two he was here.

Jeez, I've got no problem if you want to work in IT, but maybe actually know a little about it before you run and try to get a job doing it.

*slowly steps away from the MA section*
Old 08-08-2013, 01:45 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ06GT
Hahah, I work in hardware QA for one of the biggest computer companies in the world, and I had the same thing happen. They hired this kid to work with me in my group. I turned around one time to see him seconds away from yanking a card out of a computer while it was still on, so I rolled over really quick and turned it off and told him to be careful or he's going to fry some very expensive hardware or himself. 5 minutes later he wanted to know how to "get the picture back on the screen".

I wrote out a list of steps to test one of the systems which included mounting a shared drive, copying some files, and running the installer. He had to use that piece of paper EVERY SINGLE TIME he ran a test for the month or two he was here.

Jeez, I've got no problem if you want to work in IT, but maybe actually know a little about it before you run and try to get a job doing it.

*slowly steps away from the MA section*
Lol.

My biggest issue is hes like 60, he should know this stuff if he's been working in IT his whole life. He's getting better, but had to write everything down.

I'm an engineer, and the reason we're having the guy come in is so I don't have to do it because I have other things to do. And our IT group here is pretty useless when it comes to help. I'm glad I know my way around so I can watch over the guy, but I've been babysitting for 4 days now!
Old 08-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Lol.

My biggest issue is hes like 60, he should know this stuff if he's been working in IT his whole life. He's getting better, but had to write everything down.

I'm an engineer, and the reason we're having the guy come in is so I don't have to do it because I have other things to do. And our IT group here is pretty useless when it comes to help. I'm glad I know my way around so I can watch over the guy, but I've been babysitting for 4 days now!
Definitely no bueno. Having a helper to save you time you can devote to other stuff that ends up costing you time is just flat out senseless.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:14 PM
RJDavis413
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
Quiet this week. Somebody must be up to something interesting?
Not much here, got a new stereo head unit for my car (no more just cd's and fm radio... i can finally listen to my own damn music haha)

Also I just put on the mustang rocker stripes today (looks pretty snazzy) and finished painting the underside of my spoiler.

Other than that I'm still trying to pinpoint that damn clicking... somebody now told me that it might be a transmission mount, and that makes since because it does it when downshifting to. So hopefully I'll be able to get the old girl up on the lift tomorrow.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:27 AM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

Sry Brian, i havent really been on, i'll grab them from storage on Sat and i can run them to you before i drive down to PA...they are dirty (obviously) but no rust holes or anything like that
Old 08-09-2013, 06:19 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RJDavis413
Not much here, got a new stereo head unit for my car (no more just cd's and fm radio... i can finally listen to my own damn music haha)

Also I just put on the mustang rocker stripes today (looks pretty snazzy) and finished painting the underside of my spoiler.

Other than that I'm still trying to pinpoint that damn clicking... somebody now told me that it might be a transmission mount, and that makes since because it does it when downshifting to. So hopefully I'll be able to get the old girl up on the lift tomorrow.
Music in the car never qualifies as "not much" imho. I'd go *nuts* on long drives without my tunes.

Pictures of the rockers please.

If it does turn out to be the transmission mount, I have one you can just have (had to swap out my original to do the six-speed conversion).
Old 08-12-2013, 01:14 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by shad2009
Sry Brian, i havent really been on, i'll grab them from storage on Sat and i can run them to you before i drive down to PA...they are dirty (obviously) but no rust holes or anything like that
Sounds good. Just remember I live in Peabody now, not Newburyport.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:32 PM
RJDavis413
1st Gear Member

So, I've had this damn squeak going on ever since I swapped in Pauls old rear axle, and I've finally pinpointed it to the lower control arm bolt that connects to the frame of the car.

I cant seem to get the squeaking to stop, so I think it may be the bushing in the control arm doing it.

Low and behold I was browsing craigslist and theres a guy selling stock GT500 LCA's for only $80 ... So I may be picking them up. (sorry for the long story)

Quick Reply: Mass Chit-Chat