Massachusetts Regional Chapter Chapter President: Torch_Vert

Cylinder misfire nightmarez

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 11:19 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Default Cylinder misfire nightmarez

My check engine light came on yesterday in my Lincoln aviator. Today I went to autozone to get it diagnosed. It came up as a cylinder 7 misfire so I just thought I would need new spark plugs put in and prolly a new coil for #7. I get the new plugs put in and the new coil put in as well..The mechanic (known him for loongg time) then drives it after to make sure it's all set. While driving the cel comes on again. A compression test is then performed and #7 is only at 70 psi where it should 140 I'm told. I was then told that the cylinder is damaged and that it must have been misfiring for a long time....even tho the cel just came on yesterday...and the cars rides fine to me with no rpm sputter or anything like that. So now I'm told I need a new engine basically.. I'm thinking about gettin a 2nd opinion on this even tho it's hard to believe that my mechanic that I've known for years in bullshytn.... anyone ever have a cylinder crap out? What was your outcome? This sux. I might just trade it in...
Old 07-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

I would think a cylinder would have to be misfiring for quite some time to be physically damaged. Seems very unlikely you wouldn't notice poor operation or get a CEL.

I'm assuming he checked adjoining cylinders and they were ok?
Old 07-11-2012, 08:59 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
I would think a cylinder would have to be misfiring for quite some time to be physically damaged. Seems very unlikely you wouldn't notice poor operation or get a CEL.

I'm assuming he checked adjoining cylinders and they were ok?
Ya..adjoining cylinders are ok..
, its wierd. I was told that it had to been misfiring for a long time for this type of damage. I just think its dumb that the rpms never sputtered...The car drove just fine to me and felt powerful...and the fact that the CEL came on sooooo late is just mind boggling to me. I have been quoted 2500 to have it all repaired without needing a new engine. Its gonna cost $1900 on LABOR alone and then about $600 in parts. He said its needs all new Cylinder valves.. and stuff..?

Im thinking about just having the CEL cleared/reset and bringing in to trade it in for a Navigator or suttin rather than fixing it.. Just because if it happened once with absolutely no warning it will eventually happen again.....fawk it

Is there a way to have a CEL cleared to stay off so that when I do trade it in they wont notice it and check..??

Last edited by SyNdicateZ; 07-11-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SyNdicateZ
Is there a way to have a CEL cleared to stay off so that when I do trade it in they wont notice it and check..??
No real way to shut it off permanently. You can clear it with a diag tool, but if the problem still exists, the CEL will return sooner or later.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:31 PM
tcrote5516
2nd Gear Member

Peguin brings his car into the shop.
Mechanic peguin sais "Looks like you blew a seal"
Peguin responds, "nah that's just a little ice cream".

Anyway, not nessesarly new engine time but its no brake job either. Another shop will tell you the same thing. No compression is no compression and you have a problem. You need to get the head off to see what's doin. May just need valve seats, new rings and a quick crosshatch on the wall. Unless you heard metal on metal clanking I really doubt a new motor should even be a question. Either way its time for a stroker kit for fun since your already ***** deep in your motor. Aviator 1/4 in the 12s all motor???

On a side note, if you clear the code in the dealership parking lot you should be fine. That will take a full system cycle to trigger the CEL again. Its not like a brake code that will pop instantly.

Last edited by tcrote5516; 07-14-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:48 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tcrote5516
Peguin brings his car into the shop.
Mechanic peguin sais "Looks like you blew a seal"
Peguin responds, "nah that's just a little ice cream".

Anyway, not nessesarly new engine time but its no brake job either. Another shop will tell you the same thing. No compression is no compression and you have a problem. You need to get the head off to see what's doin. May just need valve seats, new rings and a quick crosshatch on the wall. Unless you heard metal on metal clanking I really doubt a new motor should even be a question. Either way its time for a stroker kit for fun since your already ***** deep in your motor. Aviator 1/4 in the 12s all motor???

On a side note, if you clear the code in the dealership parking lot you should be fine. That will take a full system cycle to trigger the CEL again. Its not like a brake code that will pop instantly.
Lol those damn penguins! Lol never heard that one before

Anyhow..I have decided to keep the aviator, I'm bringing the aviator to the shop to get the repairs started this Monday. Hopefully everything goes smoothly...Maybe we will slap a supercharger on there as well..... I wish..

Last edited by SyNdicateZ; 07-14-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:43 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

You could also take the plug out and stick a scope down there to see whats going on. If its head/valve-train related it'll look nice and clean.

If a ring went, you'll see the scoring on the walls.