Massachusetts Regional Chapter Chapter President: Torch_Vert

WINGS & WHEELS AUG 24 & 25 (UPDATE 7/19: ANY YEAR MUSTANGS NOW ALLOWED!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 07:37 PM
pilatti1
2nd Gear Member

Default WINGS & WHEELS AUG 24 & 25 (UPDATE 7/19: ANY YEAR MUSTANGS NOW ALLOWED!!!)

Looks like a fun time!! Anyone interested in going?

http://www.greatnewenglandwingsandwheels.com/

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 07-19-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Holy ****!

I am obsessed with WWII era warbirds...

I will be going to this if I have to crawl across broken glass all the way to Chicopee

Edit: Pity the car show seems to be Pre-'88 only

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 07-08-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:42 PM
LMC13
1st Gear Member

Cool. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:49 PM
LMC13
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
Edit: Pity the car show seems to be Pre-'88 only
Where did you see that Paul? They show some modern 'stangs getting photographed with the planes.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LMC13
Where did you see that Paul? They show some modern 'stangs getting photographed with the planes.
If you pull open the registration links on their page, you'll see all the class listings are '88 and before.

I actually wrote the organizers and pointed out the modern 'stang photos, and suggested some sort of "modern muscle" category at least. No response so far...

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 07-14-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:30 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

For what it's worth, here is the email response from the show organizers:

Bud Shuback passed your e-mail to me for a response. I have responsibility for the car show portion of our Wings & Wheels event in August.

This is our first year with this event and, in the early planning stages, we realized that we had limited space to accommodate aircraft, show cars and public parking. As our plans progressed and interest in the show increased, we quickly realized that our resources are even more restricted than we thought. We decided that by controlling the number of show cars we could keep the greater majority of our show car and general public participants happy. This control came in the form of restricting the age of vehicles asked to participate. Even with this restriction, we may be forced to cut show cars at 950 participants.

We realized that this would make some people, such as you, unhappy. But, as this is our first year, we wanted to start with a restricted base, gain some experience, and then decide what changes may be made for future Wings & Wheels. We picked 1988 as the cutoff point because 25 years is the generally accepted age of vehicles being recognized as antique or vintage vehicles.

The Mustang with Mustang photos on our website were provided by the owner of the plane that will be at the show. Because this is our first event, we had no file photos to draw from. After our August show, the website will be updated with the appropriate photos.

I can't do anything at this point to resolve your disappointment. I can only explain our rational and hope that you stay with us as we grow some experience. Please come and enjoy the show. Stay with us. You, and a number of others, have offered suggestions on how we can improve the show for next year. Our experience this year and all of these suggestions will be input to our post event discussions.

Paul, get back to me with any other comments or concerns that you have. If you do attend the show, please follow up with more suggestions on changes we should consider.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:11 AM
pilatti1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
For what it's worth, here is the email response from the show organizers:
Paul maybe we all cruise in together and park together making our own parking lot show
Old 07-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pilatti1
Paul maybe we all cruise in together and park together making our own parking lot show
Nice idea, but spectator parking will be directed by the organizers, and some parking is expected to be off the airfield property entirely. Spectators will also have no access to the P-51 Mustang photo op.

I consider the "we had to limit the event to 950 cars reasoning" pretty much a fib. They're still taking car registrations, and there's an easy and fair way to limit it to 950 entries: first come, first serve...

It's a schizophrenic policy. Modern planes: C'mon down! Modern cars: You're just not good enough for us, sorry...

The idea with the cars is to entertain the public, so they make rules that allow a rusted out 1975 AMC Pacer station wagon that no one wants to see participate, but a Terminator Cobra or GT500KR cannot?

I'm inclined at this point to personally give the event a pass. If I do go, I won't be bringing my Mustang.

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 07-19-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Well folks, sometimes agitating a little pays off

Just received this email from the show organizers:

Paul -

We have received a fairly large interest from Mustang owners from throughout the Northeast about having their pictures taken with the Mustang plane that will be at The Great New England Wings & Wheels on August 24 & 25. This interest has caused us to revisit our position on car show participation. For Mustangs only, we have opened Class N on our registration form to include all years. This will now allow you to register your car and to have your vehicle's picture taken with the Mustang plane. However, we have space limitations that cause us to limit Mustang registrations to the first 104 vehicles.

If you are still interested in our event, please go to our website www.greatnewenglandwingsandwheels.com to register your car. Again, interest levels are very high. I suggest you pre-register on-line and do not wait to register at the show field.

Hope to see you next month.

Bill Hick
If you want in, now is the time to register (only $15/day and that includes admission for two people)

If you do register, please put MUSTANG FORUMS (MA CHAPTER) in the "Affiliation" blank on the online form (just in case they setup for car clubs parking together)

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 07-19-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:03 PM
pilatti1
2nd Gear Member

Paul thanks for your efforts

Quick Reply: WINGS & WHEELS AUG 24 & 25 (UPDATE 7/19: ANY YEAR MUSTANGS NOW ALLOWED!!!)