Massachusetts Regional Chapter Chapter President: Torch_Vert

mass inspection for tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 12:18 PM
alexsc2

Default mass inspection for tune

Hello all. I have a quick question for people getting their car inspected with a special tune. First off I Have a 2008 roush 427r. IT comes with 4.6 liter m90 supercharger from roush. I have a host of suspension mods; I'll post some pics later. My question is that I had kooks custom long tube headers with matching x-pipe with high flow cats installed. At the same time a 93 octane tune from lethal performance was installed via an sct tuner. These are the only mods to motor. To pass inspection in mass they have to plug into your obd port to see if their are any codes. In the directions with the sct tuner they say to return car back to factory tune before bringing to dealer so as not to lock out your sct tuner. Sct is unsure whether this will alter my tuner as it is not an update from ford and they are not familiar with mass inspection. Lethal performance said the same thing. The car runs great and has no check engine light on. The car will not run right(detonation=blown motor) without a custom tune due to the headers and I'm not about to have them removed just to pass inspection every year. I figure I'm not the only one who has come across this issue. So any one have answers suggestions?
Old 07-25-2013, 09:56 PM
RJDavis413
1st Gear Member

My guess is you should probably be able to pass without fetting rid of the tune. My friend has a pretty nasty eclipse with some crazy tune in it and he passes every year just fine, I figure Mustangs should be the same way.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:34 AM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

You need to make sure your I/M readniness moniters are turned on before your inspection. If their obd scanner shows that most of your moniters are "not supported" you will fail emissions.

You will need a tune that includes those moniters to be turned on...

Visit performance-dyno.com. I had to go there to get my tune updated for the I/M readiness. I'm sure they can help u.

The state is cracking down on "altered" PCM's. pain in the asssssssss

Last edited by SyNdicateZ; 07-26-2013 at 02:36 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:09 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SyNdicateZ
You need to make sure your I/M readniness moniters are turned on before your inspection. If their obd scanner shows that most of your moniters are "not supported" you will fail emissions.

You will need a tune that includes those moniters to be turned on...

Visit performance-dyno.com. I had to go there to get my tune updated for the I/M readiness. I'm sure they can help u.

The state is cracking down on "altered" PCM's. pain in the asssssssss
That is the correct answer right there.

Odds are your tune has the rear O2 sensors switched off as well as several monitors that exist in the PCM disabled. Performance Dyno has a track record for producing good tunes with everything switched on and "legal"

Your car will also be better off with a custom dyno tune, vs a canned tune from a vendor.