Members Other Vehicles This section is for picture threads relating to members non-Mustangs. Please read the rules before posting!

The 95 Camaro I bought for my Godson

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 05:15 AM
White03Vert
3rd Gear Member

You are an awesome uncle to do that. His face made me laugh, its great that he appreciates it. A set of Z-28 wheels like the set on the red one above would look awesome on there. Looks like its in great shape for the year.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

It is in fantastic shape, had it looked at by 3 separate mechanics, and they all had the same statement... Awesome Shape, what did you pay for it? Wanna sell it?

But they did note, about 4 total issues

Pinion seal has a slow leak.
Bushings in Control arms are torn.
Serpentine Belt (took care of that)
Oil Change needed (took care of that)

Brake pads were at 7/32, I had rotors turned. Tires at 7/32, replaced 3rd brake light bulbs. I put in a new fuel line from tank to engine... The one it came with was in ok shape, but I want him to be safe. Calipers lubed and functioning like new. e-brake cable tightened.

His parents will take care of the Pinion seal and LCA bushings.

I have been driving it around the last 4 days, put a can of seafoam in the tank, filled it up with 93 Ultra (had a slight uneven idle, but that cleared up with seafoam and 93 octane fill up)

I almost don't wanna give it to him now... wanna keep it as a winter rat, and store the 2013 away. Doubt I will ever find a car in this good of shape for so cheap again.

The most important thing is it made his XMAS, but it will be 9 months before he can drive it. MD LAW makes you ride on your permit for 9 months, but I am going to turn the car over to him after I get the title from MD (takes about 30 days), then switch it to PA to pay the taxes, then sign it over to him (stupid I know, but the vehicle wasn't MD inspected, so I have to go this route.)
Old 12-23-2012, 11:52 PM
no_mad11

That was super nice of you & his expression on the video was priceless!
Old 12-24-2012, 12:31 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Thanks... and his responses along with his expression were priceless. (insert Mastercard joke here)
Old 12-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Nyke
1st Gear Member

My first car was a 1994 v6 Camaro, T-Top. Within 3 weeks of owning it the motor spun a bearing, snapped a connecting rod and jammed it into the block. That is what you get when buying a mint looking vehicle from a woman who never did any oil changes.

Needless to say I worked with my high school auto shop class and we threw in a small block.

The car was a beast when done.

Small Block 350 bored to .50 over since the block was a used an abused studentnized learning tool.

Worked with metals shop and had a custom exhaust along with all the cross members needed to make it fit and many miscellaneous things. Since we went from a v6 to a v8 we used a mega squirt tuner and ran everything off of that and had a junk yard 4L85E (Beast of a automatic)

Well.. that was over 8 years ago. The thing would destroy anything on the street. Sad story is that I only have it for 3 years before it was totaled. Long story short, I was starting at Universal Technical Institute and 2 weeks before my first day my step mother crashed the vehicle, it was not her fault as she was hit by a semi truck not paying attention but yeah.. that damn camaro had a fully boxed in suspension and everything.

So.. I needed a vehicle and insurance was not goign to dish out money anytime soon... and a friend of my fathers owned a small shop and handed over a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. I did not do anything to it because I did not know what it was even capable of, it was just a car... then when I started school all the Asian's would come up to me wanting to buy the car off me.. heh... i modded the car with my insurance money when it came in and let me tell ya... I have had a camaro, ecplise, 240sx (RB26DET), Lexus IS300 (2JZ-GTE) and now a 2013 mustang... out of all the cars the camaro was the best but.. it was custom.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Well I doubt he will drop a 350 in it.

Even I wouldn't. Definitely not worried about the Mainteance, the previous owner had the entire history, every oil change, fluid change etc etc.

I did change the rear diff fluid, some people don't think to do that, so I said what the hell, it was pretty clean, but I didn't see a receipt for it, so I made sure it was done.

I have been running it around the last couple of days since picking it up for him, put about 300+ on the clock.

RUns good, great on gas (needs to be for 17 year old who probably at best works 20 hours a week making min wage.)

I am not a huge fan of the 4th gen body... I prefer 3rd gens.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:37 AM
95 BLOWN GT
5th Gear Member

car looks pretty good..lucky godson.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:10 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 95 BLOWN GT
car looks pretty good..lucky godson.
He is and loves it... I am just waiting on the title so I can transfer it over to him. Has to stay in my posession until it arrives. I was hoping it woul dhave been here by now but no such luck.

However, it has been keeping miles off my pony since I have been driving it around instead.

I am starting to think it may need a heater core though. The heat isn't very warm, and it has a new thermostat in it, the heat, at best is luke warm on the high setting.

I did another radiator flush on it yesterday, the fluid was clean when I picked it up, but was really dirty when I checked it yeserday morning so with all the running around it must be kicking up some debris that has settled.

We will see

Gary
Old 12-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Nyke
1st Gear Member

Ouch, yeah I hate GM and there coolant. Always coolant problems with those cars. **** EM! I actually flushed out my entire system and used the recommended coolant from GM and the same **** kept happening. GM Coolant is slightly acidic by nature and really ****ing stupid for it to be, i think it has been revised by now to not be acidic. Anyways after it happened again I just flushed it with water, filled it with water and a rust inhibitor/enhancer (Redline Water Wetter). Drove it for a week with just the water in it and then flushed it out.. holy **** did more stuff come out this time. I filled it again one more time and drove it for a week again and then drained it. This time it was really clean and I just filled it with non GM coolant.

I used a silicate free coolant (also known as Japaneses Coolant) with a mixture of 70% Water / 30% Coolant and the recommended amount of Water Wetter and the vehicle ran cooler and heated up much faster. Never ever had a problem since then.

Silicate coolants are used by many manufactures to keep the coolant passages clean. As the silicates in the coolant run through the system they scour the walls clean. This abrasion can and has caused premature failure on water pump seals and even head gaskets. What happens in some cases is the system is not serviced (flushed) and the buildup of material can clog heater cores, radiators and just overall degrade and ruin many parts internally.

I know manufactures used to use silicate coolants on older vehicles because the casting left behind imperfections and cast-mold residue and no longer use brass components. With all the new cast-mold technology out manufactures are straying away from silicate coolants.

Prestone Long Life, Honda, G0-5 are silicate free coolants.

TRL

Flush the coolant with water, fill it with water and a rust inhibitor run it for a week, rinse and repeat, fill with 70% Water / 30% Coolant and a Rust Inhibitor/Enhancer. Enjoy Life.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

any particular rust inhibitor you personally recommend?

Quick Reply: The 95 Camaro I bought for my Godson