Members Rides and Car Show Section This section is for requests for photos of certain models or modifications, as well as car shows and events. Please read the rules before posting!

got bored.. painted car..

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 01:36 PM
ImpOnFire
HRnB's Minion

Default got bored.. painted car..

I got bored the other day and laid out the design and painted it.. its actually just flat black paint.. im trashing the bumper when i paint the whole car so it was expendable.. do you think it would look good down the lower body line of the whole car? starting behinds the front wheels? curving all the way down and up the back around the taillights and across the top of the trunk? with the top being a dark candy red and the black being a satin or some type of black with metal flake?

Old 03-16-2008, 02:31 PM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

Default RE: got bored.. painted car..

ORIGINAL: ImpOnFire
I got bored the other day and laid out the design and painted it.. its actually just flat black paint.. im trashing the bumper when i paint the whole car so it was expendable.. do you think it would look good down the lower body line of the whole car? starting behinds the front wheels? curving all the way down and up the back around the taillights and across the top of the trunk? with the top being a dark candy red and the black being a satin or some type of black with metal flake?
Just curious, did you cut the shape before hand, or did you do it while on the car ?

I like it.. i think it would look good along the whole lower body line.. maybe even a fade out into the red when it reaches behind the front wheels... i personally like the flat black if you're going to go with the dark candy apple red.. but it might look "splashier" with a type of black metallic flake... i'd have to see those together before i made a choice though..

again.. nice work
Old 03-16-2008, 03:37 PM
alexr
★★★★★

probably not if its flashy, but if you do it as a "ghose flame" sorta of deal, where its more transparent, it would probably look nice.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:41 PM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

ORIGINAL: ÅЯđồľŀễŗ
probably not if its flashy, but if you do it as a "ghose flame" sorta of deal, where its more transparent, it would probably look nice.
valid point.. ghost flame style would definately work nicely..
Old 03-16-2008, 03:44 PM
alexr
★★★★★

how much money do you have/want to spend? i think it would look better with either a darker red body color or high gloss black body. i think you need a red/black car with a good shine to it. that laser red is a bit "light" in color and a tad dull.

just my suggestion, if youre gonna do something that drastic to your paint, do it right. it could help the car really well if done right, but if youre gonna add something flashy to a dull color/paint job, then it could make the car look worse.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:45 PM
alexr
★★★★★

how much money do you have/want to spend? i think it would look better with either a darker red body color or high gloss black body. i think you need a red/black car with a good shine to it. that laser red is a bit "light" in color and a tad dull.

just my suggestion, if youre gonna do something that drastic to your paint, do it right. it could help the car really well if done right, but if youre gonna add something flashy to a dull color/paint job, then it could make the car look worse.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:40 PM
ImpOnFire
HRnB's Minion

well i took paint tape and cut out the design from the tape and painted it.. yes i drew it out on my own and in like 10 min so i know its not perfect.. I used to work at a body shop so I know thats not the RIGHT way to do it.. lol When i do the whole sides I'm going to use contact paper and it'll look good.. Like i said i want to do a dark candy red.. maybe a little darker than my old one for the body (sorry, i dont like black bodys.. too much work to take care of)

i dont know if i could do the ghost flame.. the shop i deal with isnt doing anything special.. just painting it for me.. im buying all the paint and stuff so its not going to be as outragious as it could cost.. i think i like the more defined flames anyways.. i wish i could see the two paints side by side before i did it, but i dont think ill get that chance..

this is my old car's color..

thanks for the input.. i think black metallic flake would look best with this color red instead of something dull.. that way the whole car is shiny.. sound smart enough? but you really think that design looks good? thats my main thought right now i guess.. i know when i draw something i always pick it to hell.. others' suggestions always help
Old 03-16-2008, 05:06 PM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

cool.. well, as far as the "drawing" goes.. here's my opinion on the design.. it depends on what you're shooting for.. as you have it.. the "flame edge" is pretty far away from the bottom line of the bumper / car... it makes the size of the "flames" look inproportionately small... as it stands, it looks like you have a 2-tone with a "rough edge" at the paint line..

i guess my answer to that would be to either move the "flame edge" down closer to the bottom line of the car, or scale your "flame edge" up about 2 times.. i think the actual "flow" of the arcs and radius' are smooth, and they flow well.. it's definately original

but that's just my opinion.. that and $3.65 will get you a gallon of gas..
Old 03-16-2008, 05:45 PM
ImpOnFire
HRnB's Minion

3.65? wow.. its 3.10 here.. and its supposed to be more of a 'tribal flame' kinda thing anyways.. i did do it on a larger scale but it looked like it would look like garbage.. i guess when i paint it red ill have to get one of those paint markers and do some drawing to get it right.. thanks
Old 03-16-2008, 06:07 PM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

ORIGINAL: ImpOnFire
3.65? wow.. its 3.10 here.. and its supposed to be more of a 'tribal flame' kinda thing anyways.. i did do it on a larger scale but it looked like it would look like garbage.. i guess when i paint it red ill have to get one of those paint markers and do some drawing to get it right.. thanks
yeah, i have no idea why it's gone up that much.. blah.. i don't think anyone but the oil companies know why it went up.. cause they can i guess... [:@]

well, i went back and looked at it closer again.. and actually.. on the rear of the car, the proportion top to bottom looks great, i think were i was having a problem was where you "went up" the rear fender well corner on the side, near the side marker,it "widened" out at the "sharp corner"- near the tire/bottom(this happens to be closer to the camera, so it seemed to stick out alot)

i think i almost need to see this further away. maybe if you brought the "tribal edge" closer to the angled bottom line of the car on the side there, then turned UP with the fender well more.. (more like an L shape) than trying to blend it straight like you did.

but again, it's still good.. we're splitting frog hairs now.. [8D]