Members Rides and Car Show Section This section is for requests for photos of certain models or modifications, as well as car shows and events. Please read the rules before posting!

My "new" 1985 Mustang Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 04:23 PM
sho_shane

Smile My "new" 1985 Mustang Coupe

I picked it up a month ago. Its sporting a 2.3L 4 banger and a 4 speed tranny.

The kid I got it from was really nice. It needs a ton of work but has had alot done to it to.

All the work the kid and his dad did. Very cool people!!!

They got it off Craigslist same as me, But this is the pics of it when they got it:

They got it so his son could take me from Tyler to Abilene back and forth to school. They replaced alot of parts so it would be a reliable car for the 280 one way trip back and forth a few times a month.

He didnt want his son looking bad so they "threw" a open shop paint job on it:

LOTS of trash in the paint but it was their first time and in a open shop. So 10 feet away its a GREAT looking car and took almost NO body work:

LOL Look 10 feet away:

Then they went to a swap meet and happen to find a set of 10 holes, 1985 GT Leather seats, and a 85 GT center console to throw in it.

Seats and Center:

Then new brakes a new rack and the 10 Holes:

Then this happened the first week I got it.

This is what happens when you run into walmart and somoene who has no respect for anyone but them selfs hits your car and drives away...

Looks like Im in the market for a Fender, Bumper Cover, and Im going to go ahead and pick up a 4in Cowl Hood. Then its back to paint.

The NA 2.3 that is in it is really wore out and has OVER 300k on it. Its starting to smoke blue, has some oil leaks, and goes through a gallon of water every 1000 miles.

It is also really weak, when it was new it was only rated at 88hp so I cant imagin im making more than 60hp now that its got 300k on the clock.

Im really going to have to do something soon and here are some Ideas I have had for a new motor setup for it.

1. Build another 2.3L but with a Big Valve D Port Head, Roller Cam, Forged Pistons and Rods, 500cfm Carb, and a Blow Thru Turbo Setup.

2. Find a Roller 5.0 out of a GT that already has Forged Pistons. Do a basic rebuild (bearing, rings, and gaskets) then shove it in and over time throw some heads on it, and in the long haul a single blow thur turbo setup.

3. Find a 351W and build a buget 408 Stroker motor with a 100-150 Shot of Nitrous and throw it in. My budget my not let me do much more then a basic rebuild with a .30 punch out of the block. Then slowly build it up with heads and spray.

A big key in ANY of these choices is my BUDGET. Its not big and it will take time to do any of these.

So I will tell you what I want, I dont care about being the fastest on the road. Im a full time single father of my 2 kids and my car is my getaway. Its what I can hope in and run down the road free of anything other than shifting gears and hearing the motor run out.

I like to be different so thats why the Carbed Turbo 2.3 or the LS series sounds good. At the same time Budget is very important so the 302 or 351w sounds good for that. I really just dont know what to do, What do yall think?

I know for sure that I need to make from 450-500whp to even be looked at around my area but Im not so sure on how cheap you can make that kinda power.

Anyway this is my ride, tell me what yall think and thanks now for any and ill comments.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

very nice my man. Please keep us updated.. My love for mustangs started when I rode in my buddys 85 5.0 (last year of the carbuerator)!!!
Old 09-07-2011, 07:08 AM
sho_shane

Thank you very much. if I go V8 I have to decied if I want to go carb or swap in EFI. Not sure yet on that one though either...
Old 09-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Teadrinker1

I'm so glad you spent so much time and effort. The Mid 80's shape is my guilty pleasure!!!!! Congratulations!!