Members Rides and Car Show Section This section is for requests for photos of certain models or modifications, as well as car shows and events. Please read the rules before posting!

Misfire on a 4.6L v8

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 10:28 PM
Shady2V

Default Misfire on a 4.6L v8

Ok, I need some help. So my car after washing it. Decided to misfire, I thought it was just water in the filter. I drove to a meet and popped the hood, and left it there for about an hour. I go to leave and the noise is gone on idle. I think oh it's fine and I leave and the car breaks up and misfires when i get on it at all. I changed the spark plugs and it got rid of the misfiring at idle or getting up to speed but if I get on it what so ever it just sounds like a machine gun and the car shakes like an AC-130. I'm really cunfused because I plugged my blue driver in to it, and it said misfire cylinder 1. I change all the spark plugs and it still does the misfire but it alot better. And it wont throw a code what so ever. I thought it might be the coil pack so I swapped the coil pack to a different plug and it's not throwing a code. I also think my fule cap might have been loose when I sprayed it in there but I dont know for sure. And the car starts fine, drives under 2,500 rpm fine and may misfire here or there but if I get the car from 1,250 to 2,000 quicker then normal it just gives up. And the idle is sitting super low and it says it's running lean or rich but that's because I have an off road Xpype. It's not tuned and my knowledge of the car is CAI off road xpype and dumped right after the xpype. And that's it. It's only ever did this once and it was because it was raining hella hard and I went through a huge puddle and so that's why I thought water was in it.

Sorry for the length and the improper punctuation just got off a flight.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:44 PM
Solara

Cracked coil probably. If you can come up with a spare try swapping it out
Old 06-27-2019, 01:34 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

How many miles on it?

I'm starting to notice a lot of timing chain related issues mentioned on this forum for the 05-07 models, tensioner/guides, cam phasers, and VCT solenoids. You might want to look into those.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:05 PM
Solara

Originally Posted by Derf00
How many miles on it?

I'm starting to notice a lot of timing chain related issues mentioned on this forum for the 05-07 models, tensioner/guides, cam phasers, and VCT solenoids. You might want to look into those.
The timing kit is a service item that should be addressed on all 4.6s. But that would make quite a lot of noise and unless the chain skips it isn't gonna cause a much of a misfire and it's not going to throw a code for a misfire. If the oil doesn't smell like gas you should assume the injectors aren't leaking, chances of dirt causing it are extremely slim. Its gotta be either an ignition or a compression issue. Could be the notorious intake leak as well. Run a compression test