Michigan Regional Chapter Chapter President: MYGT500

Parts of MI

Old 03-20-2011, 11:36 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Default Parts of MI

Whats up guys? I figured I'd try and liven up the Michigan thread a bit. So here's my question. What part of the state are you from, where have you lived and what do you like or not like about it?

I'm from a Detroit suburb - love the automotive culture but hate the road conditions (honestly!!!). I like that where I live, there are expressways very close, and even without those, I can shop, eat, see movies, bowl, or do a whole bunch of other things with a very short trip.

Also I went to college in Midland, middle of the state (ironic?). I didn't like it... It was a boring area to me - way too many stop lights, not as much to do, and harder to get to the places you wanted to go...

Look forward to hearing more about our state!!
Old 03-21-2011, 08:26 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I live in Howell right now. Don't care much for it at all really. It's not horrible or anything, but it's just not me. I lived in Canton last year. What was nice about being out there was that it was like the Mustang capital of the state lol. Seriously, it seemed like every 8th car was a Mustang lol. Tons of car show in the area as well.

I'm totally in love with the west side of the state though, and will be moving there when the time comes. Specifically, places like Grand Haven, Holland, etc. Totally different way of life. Compared to where i am at now, it's like a completely different world. Some of the best sunsets and beaches in the country are over there. I don't think the car scene is as big over there, but i could care less to be honest. There's so much more stuff that i like to do over there.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:51 AM
JimC

I'm located in Fort Gratiot, which is the north end of Port Huron. I grew up in the City of Port Huron near Port Huron Hospital and Pine Grove Park (learned to swim in the St. Clair River).

I went to Central Michigan University and after graduation ended up back in Mt. Pleasant when I was offered a job with the state. That took me to Saline for a couple of years and then back up to Mt. Pleasant. In 1995 I left that position for private practice and we had our main law office in Mt. Pleasant and satellite offices in Port Huron and Lansing. In 1998 I moved back to Port Huron and would go to Mt. Pleasant one day a week. But in 2002 I was offered a position with the bank and closed my law office and now commute to Grosse Pointe every day.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:15 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Cool. Good responses guys! Hopefully some more people join in to this discussion. Good luck with the move west mrt - I have heard it is great over there.

Jim - Isn't Port Huron to Grosse Pointe quite a drive? Or am I thinking of somewhere else....
Old 03-21-2011, 02:17 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
I live in Howell right now.
Grew up partially @ Mason & Burkhart, lol...Other city was Livonia...Graduated with Sparty and got the h*ll out...Moved to the Houston Area in 2005...Nothing beats a sunny MI summer day...
Old 03-21-2011, 02:31 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by highline
Grew up partially @ Mason & Burkhart, lol...Other city was Livonia...Graduated with Sparty and got the h*ll out...Moved to the Houston Area in 2005...Nothing beats a sunny MI summer day...
Wow it's a small world lol. I basically live on the corner of M-59 & Michigan Ave, only a few miles from where you grew up.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:52 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by highline
Did you go to Livonia High schools? I live near there and went to HS at one of them.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:34 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by bopiela
Cool. Good responses guys! Hopefully some more people join in to this discussion. Good luck with the move west mrt - I have heard it is great over there.

Jim - Isn't Port Huron to Grosse Pointe quite a drive? Or am I thinking of somewhere else....
It is about 45 miles one way (that's one reason why I have 167,500 miles on the Mustang) but not a bad drive. All expressway.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:29 AM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
It is about 45 miles one way (that's one reason why I have 167,500 miles on the Mustang) but not a bad drive. All expressway.
I'd hate that... I can see where the miles came from though, for sure!
Old 03-22-2011, 08:02 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bopiela
Did you go to Livonia High schools? I live near there and went to HS at one of them.
Hoover, Holmes and Stevenson for one year before going to CC...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parts of MI