MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Motor Swap Section (https://mustangforums.com/forum/motor-swap-section-163/)
-   -   I Need Help Identifying These 4v Heads. (https://mustangforums.com/forum/motor-swap-section/675778-i-need-help-identifying-these-4v-heads.html)

jimvsmij 06-27-2012 12:18 PM

I Need Help Identifying These 4v Heads.

I picked them up pretty cheap, I know that the "B" heads are not very desirable but since I was building a 2v stroker I thought any 4v would be an improvement for breathing. What I'd like to know is from what car (Lincoln, Mustang) did they come off of. This will help me select parts to replace such as valve guide, seats, srpings, etc. Here are the numbers I pulled off of it:
Cams: F55E-6A270-AA (23M0153J0 & 23M0153K0)
Cam Retainer: F2LE-6B277-BF
Valve Cover: F50E-6582-A A (F2R)
Can anyone tell me what car these are off of or tell me how I can identify them?

Thanks!
Jim

Martin6107 06-27-2012 01:00 PM

The camshaft number you provided does not match any information I have seen. The intake and exhaust camshafts are different numbers. Can you provide both please?

My understanding is that the major difference between Lincoln and Cobra B-heads is the camshaft. The castings and components should be identical.

The B-Head camshafts are the ones to have for a naturally aspirated engine. If you are planning to boost, it seems the trend is to use C-Head camshafts and IMRC deletes.

Martin6107 06-27-2012 01:05 PM

You can find a production date laser etched into the end of one or both heads. That date will help with identification as well.

jimvsmij 06-27-2012 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Martin6107 (Post 7981505)
The camshaft number you provided does not match any information I have seen. The intake and exhaust camshafts are different numbers. Can you provide both please?

My understanding is that the major difference between Lincoln and Cobra B-heads is the camshaft. The castings and components should be identical.

The B-Head camshafts are the ones to have for a naturally aspirated engine. If you are planning to boost, it seems the trend is to use C-Head camshafts and IMRC deletes.

I think I read somewhere that the springs are different (Lincoln - Straight, Cobra -Beehive) and the valve guides have different OD's and if you get them mixed up you end up with oil getting into the cylinders. I'll have try to find where I saw that.

I don't have the engine in front of me but the numbers I took were off the intake cams if I remember correctly.

jimvsmij 06-27-2012 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Martin6107 (Post 7981509)
You can find a production date laser etched into the end of one or both heads. That date will help with identification as well.

I looked this morning at the ends and I didn't see any makings. I'll check again tonight.

Martin6107 06-27-2012 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by jimvsmij (Post 7981537)
I looked this morning at the ends and I didn't see any makings. I'll check again tonight.

If nothing else, get the casting numbers from the exhaust port sides of the heads. I may be wrong about the manufacturing date marks on these.

1slow67 06-28-2012 10:03 PM

According to the cam retainer if they still code them like the old parts is a 92 Lincoln.

F - 90s
2 - year
L - Lincoln