MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Motor Swap Section (https://mustangforums.com/forum/motor-swap-section-163/)
-   -   1984 Fox with 3.8 to 5.0 HO Swap (https://mustangforums.com/forum/motor-swap-section/677578-1984-fox-with-3-8-to-5-0-ho-swap.html)

MaineFOX 07-22-2012 11:00 AM

1984 Fox with 3.8 to 5.0 HO Swap

Okay Professionals…
I have recently purchased an extremely good condition 1984 Fox LX Convertible. The fox has a 3.8L V6, and I have purchased a Roller 302 from an 89’ Grand Marquis. I am rebuilding the 302 to .30-Over and plan to change everything on the block, want to use carb instead of fuel injection to keep wiring simple as possible.

Questions:
What issues with the engine swap?
Things I will need for the Swap?
Want to install a T5 5 Speed and take out the Auto. Is it hard to install a clutch pedal and will I need to change the original drive-shaft?
I have to the patients, tools and mechanically inclined for the task. I am not looking for extreme horsepower, somewhere around 375rwhp, and I realize sub-rails and such things, just need to know your inputs on the install. Will things just fall into place?

Thank you in advance for your time and experience.

shawn1989 07-22-2012 11:21 AM

Research.

MaineFOX 07-22-2012 11:39 AM

Hummm? Thought I was?

shawn1989 07-22-2012 11:46 AM

..... Things i will need for the swap.... Google: how to swap a 5.0 from a 3.8

Tons of pages will come out with people asking for help. Read

JC316 07-22-2012 03:14 PM

Shawn, don't be an ass, especially when you only have 3 posts and a Mazda.

You are going to need the engine, the transmission, a driveshaft, clutch, flywheel, etc. I think the V6 K member is fine for a 5.0l, but don't quote me on that one. The clutch pedal isn't that bad to install.

The 375RWP number is going to be tougher and more expensive than you think. A H/C 331 stroker might do it.

MaineFOX 07-22-2012 05:00 PM

JC316,
Thank you, this is the type of information I was looking for. I was just shouting out an HP number, however, I would be just fine with 300HP. Would you or anyone have suggestions in mind? Hope I am not asking to much, but if someone would care to list off some parts… Maybe a good cam and head combo, was looking at manufacturers of Comp Cams or Trick Flow hardware, Performer Intake w/Carb, things like that, everything including flat tops; rockers, push rods, oil pans, and such. Remember, I just want to use the used 5.0 block.

I have all winter long in a nice heated garage to accomplish, and will be learning as I go. I will be purchasing instructional DVD’s to aid in the build process and plenty of reading material, O’ and not to mention the help of you guy’s… THANKS!

Also, I will keep you all posted with pictures and video, so that you can have a laugh or joke… LOL

Question, of many… When I pull the V6, I don’t want to hack the wires that I won’t be using, any suggestions on concealing them?

Thanks from Maine!

JC316 07-22-2012 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by MaineFOX (Post 8002752)
JC316,
Thank you, this is the type of information I was looking for. I was just shouting out an HP number, however, I would be just fine with 300HP. Would you or anyone have suggestions in mind? Hope I am not asking to much, but if someone would care to list off some parts… Maybe a good cam and head combo, was looking at manufacturers of Comp Cams or Trick Flow hardware, Performer Intake w/Carb, things like that, everything including flat tops; rockers, push rods, oil pans, and such. Remember, I just want to use the used 5.0 block.

I have all winter long in a nice heated garage to accomplish, and will be learning as I go. I will be purchasing instructional DVD’s to aid in the build process and plenty of reading material, O’ and not to mention the help of you guy’s… THANKS!

Also, I will keep you all posted with pictures and video, so that you can have a laugh or joke… LOL

Question, of many… When I pull the V6, I don’t want to hack the wires that I won’t be using, any suggestions on concealing them?

Thanks from Maine!

No problem. When it comes to making power with the 5.0L, I am not the guy to talk to. I am sure there is good information in the 5.0L section of this forum, you will likely have better luck in there. As for the V6 wiring, yeah, just take out what you don't need.