Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

LS heads on a windsor

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 03:47 AM
toybreaker
2nd Gear Member

Default LS heads on a windsor

Ok I have seen pictures of a 302 short block with a set of LQ9 heads on it.
Never seen any proof that any combo like this has run before.

I am a machinist by trade. Have access to some really good machinery for fabrication. If there are any threads or other info that could help me along with this I would appreciate the guidance. So far I have seen that the heads pretty much bolt up, pushrods don't have any crazy angles (big block chevy's have more angle to them than this engine will) My biggest issue is going to be coolant from the heads to the thermostat and fabricating an intake manifold.
It might just be easier to do a Inglese style 8 throat intake with fuel rails.
Fuel injection May or may not be the fuel delivery system... depends on the intake manifold.....

More or less power than a clevor?

I am going to say more, for 2 reasons.
1. More efficient combustion chamber,
2. Higher velocity port design.

Bench racing to start now.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:46 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Haven't seen this combo running either...
But why mess with this when you can get a set of AFR or Trick Flow heads designed for the 302 with the engineering already done for you?
Besides, those aftermarket ones will flow better I'm sure.
Also, valves to pistons clearance?

Lastly, if you have to go GM, why not the LS6 heads?
More better than the truck ones.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:41 PM
toybreaker
2nd Gear Member

I have a set of LQ9's. They were almost free and only need some springs to match the cam I have yet to buy.
I like taking the road not traveled sometimes, and this would make my car totally unique. Hybrid Ford/GM 408 with N2O....
I plan on using some LS pistons (they will be custom to maximize the quench at .040)
I have already drawn up the intake rails, and carb pad on mastercam, Bribed a good friend with some machining for his harley to do some beautiful tig welding on the sheetmetal intake.

My 70 already has a 347 in it, and with the exception of the cal custom vintage valve covers (I had to make some valve cover spacers to fit the roller rockers) my engine compartment is HO-HUM, yeah its a small block ford.....
Old 10-25-2012, 07:22 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I see...
Well, more power to you.

In any case, post back with the results.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:26 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

LOL strange I just had a friend tell that they bolt up a few weeks ago, GM Bastards!! I would get a set Cleveland 4v heads while the flow numbers are not what some of the A/M heads are. the ets show more power at lease they do on my friends car. He has been faster with a 4v 351 cid C engine then with his OFB Victor Jrs with 393 cid both na. by far flow numbers are just part of the story with heads. Valve placement means the world also. we dont race flow bench just like we dont race dynos. But all in all it would a very different comb if you go with the LS heads. But it still make my Ford blood turn
Old 10-25-2012, 04:49 PM
toybreaker
2nd Gear Member

The main reason I want to do this is because it hasn't been done yet.
And yes there is more to making power than flow numbers. the pistons are going to be as perfect for that set up as i can get them. I am hoping that the company I decide to have manufacture them can use my Mastercam file for the geometry of the piston crown.

I haven't put anything together yet, I am still looking for a roller 5.8 block to start with.
Once I get a block I can mock up the assembly and see where tha valve placement is.

Last edited by toybreaker; 10-25-2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: I ramble.....
Old 11-19-2012, 10:46 PM
irish350

If youre doing that youd wanna go with a composite intake as well, to make that whole 'no coolant' thing easier... maybe spacers between the block and head that mate the coolant passages together and allow for the stock ls intake (similar to how 'tall deck' ls blocks are setup)

the main issue i see here is the power handling ability of the bottom end/block, but if you've got some solution to that (mexican/racing block, or staying under 500 crank horse) id say just go ls