Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

V6 to V8? or turbo..

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 09:18 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

I like the X-Charger myself, which is an Eaton MP90 based blower. As stated above, there are good options from Vortech and Procharger too.

It really depends what you want/need. In my case the requirements were 300+ HP and solid low end torque. I get that out of the "X" with the bonuses of the way a positive displacement blower looks with the hood popped (I show the car occasionally) and the distinctive whine this type blower makes.

If I tracked the car every weekend, I might have considered other options (like a turbo setup) but I don't, so what I have fits my personal needs perfectly.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:22 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

No idea what a "turbo chip" even is. Are you talking like PCM tuning?

I would go with either turbo or supercharger as well. The auto trans is what is in the GT so you know it can handle at least that much power, and 4.6 owners haven't had many problems with the auto until they hit FI power levels (and even then the number of people with trans issues is limited).

Most of your suspension will be okay but drivetrain is where your cash is going to go. You will likely need a new driveshaft if you enjoy top speed runs (or playing over 120mph at all). I believe a few boosted sixxer owners have replaced their valve springs as well to keep from getting valve float but this doesn't seem to be a prevailing issue. Most importantly, you're going to need to get a beefier rear end, as your 7.5" and the open diff are not nearly strong enough to withstand heavy abuse after boosting. Most go with a GT take-off 8.8" rear, and as a bonus they come with a locking diff and more aggressive gearing (if you so choose). Those gears will really dial your auto sixxer in to the powerband as well, so this almost doubles as a second performance mod on top of being a supporting safety mod.

Good luck, and take a look around the forum as we have quite a few members who have done procharger/x-charger builds and their threads are packed with helpful info.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 AM
venny

i ment turbo/ or chip haha sorry. but okay so keep the v6 and upgrade that with xcharger r turbo. what do u suggest. good brand names. whats good and reliable
Old 01-24-2013, 12:34 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Im a fan of ATI Procharger
Old 01-26-2013, 01:36 PM
BLWN PNY
1st Gear Member

FI is your best bet!

not sure what the xcharger runs but a turbo set up is going to be a lil above your price range, unless you go with a cheaper set up like On3. (Cheaper parts and thin pipes)
I love my turbo setup but if the xcharger is in your range thats what you should do.

your going to spend 4000 to 4500 or so for a good turbo setup and the install will cost more extra pipes to run and intercooler, bov, wastegate, and so on.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 AM
venny

say i go with turbo. whats a good brande name?
say i go with super charger whats good in that department.
whats the price ranges and when its all said n done what do i need to beef up? suspension rear end?
i just want power without going overboard and spending more then the cars even worth cause it doesnt take long to get up there
Old 01-30-2013, 07:27 AM
BLWN PNY
1st Gear Member

Hellion or Turbonetics makes a great kit. both use turbonetics turbos. I liked Turbonetics pipe work better than the others ( some are too low under the car)
and you have to relace the k member
Im sure there are other systems that use quality parts just check them out
before you buy them.
as far as chargers go lots of people use them and would know better than me.

as far as suporting mods the rearend as stated above. find a wrecked GT and
get the whole rearend use aftermarked lower and uper control arms. stockers suck
stamped steel and flex way too much under boost.