Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

1999-2004 460 swap

Old 07-13-2012, 11:40 PM
joshb
1st Gear Member

Default 1999-2004 460 swap

im getting a 200 mustang and i would like to drop a carb 460 in it. ive read alot of build threads about this but there not specific i need to know if i need to run all new front suspension or just a 94-95 k member with mounts i need to know what trans to use to and an estimate on the cost
Old 07-14-2012, 08:40 AM
joshb
1st Gear Member

short list

460 94-95 k member
either a c4 or a c6
d&d trans crossmember
d&d swap kit includes mounts oil pan kit and shorty headers
and super stiff springs

i need to kno if i need to mess with the fuel lines and gauges and how muchthis is going to cost
Old 07-14-2012, 02:50 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

This is going to be an extensive and possibly a costly swap, yes you will need to change your fuel lines as well, a factory EFI pump will put out WAY to much pressure for a carb. Carb setups run around 8psi of fuel pressure, the base fuel pressure on your EFI setup is 40psi. So esential you need an entire fuel system. None of your factory gauges will work either. You will also need custom exhaust and a driveshaft, and possibly a steering setup if the factory shaft can't make it to the rack with the big block in.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:23 PM
joshb
1st Gear Member

i read a 460 build where a guy swap out all his fuel crap for like 500$ or so ive heard about the hydro boost system and people swapping it out and hating it i dont really care about power steering but i dnt want to swap it out do you know if it possible to not . i think i can use a fox body driveshat or ill get mine shortened i need to kno whats trans will work i dont want a c6 boat anchor in my car but i dont want a built trans im kind of on a budget and ive read on other build only the tac will be affected
Old 07-15-2012, 12:28 AM
joshb
1st Gear Member

and not to be a di** but i could use a fuel regulator and a couple of rubber hoses to go from efi to carb?
Old 07-15-2012, 10:07 AM
madjimmax
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by joshb
and not to be a di** but i could use a fuel regulator and a couple of rubber hoses to go from efi to carb?
You need to be doing a lot more research if this is what your coming up with. A Fuel pressure regulator is only to fine tune your pressure, Not to take your stock pressure which is 40psi and drop it to 8psi (besides I dont see this being very healthy for the pump). If your not going to do it right why bother. As far as your other post, it will take just as much $ and work to drop a 351 in and carb it. The works not really going to be making the motor fit, it's going to be all the other BS that comes along with it that will have you second guessing your decision. These are the projects that you can pick up dirt cheap once the person gets tired of all the BS and just cuts his or her losses and sells it off for pennies on the dollar.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:53 PM
joshb
1st Gear Member

ive seen this swap done from begining to end but there wasnt much detail to it EVERYTHING cost 4500 and im mean EVERYTHING and 302/351w swap are around 2gs for everything the reason y the 460 cost mor is because of suspension and tranny and what not
Old 07-16-2012, 07:43 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

lol..............., no you can't just use a regulator and run a factory style EFI mustang pump.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:44 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

ive seen this swap done from begining to end but there wasnt much detail to it EVERYTHING cost 4500 and im mean EVERYTHING and 302/351w swap are around 2gs for everything the reason y the 460 cost mor is because of suspension and tranny and what not
if this swap was dont from start to finish and running for 4500$ there is no doubt it was done with a ton of shortcuts, and the motor and trans came out of a junkyard and dropped in as is.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Mishimoto
Former Sponsor

I put a reman long block 460 in a guy's truck for him 2 years ago because a few years the crank snapped. $2400 was the best deal at the time, and needed all accessories swapped over.

I would stick to small block engines for your goals. I think you'd spend a lot of time/money trying to pick a suspension set-up that would suit the extra weight on the street

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999-2004 460 swap