Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

2003 V6 motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 06:53 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

It's a good clutch. I've used them before. Should meet your needs just fine.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:15 AM
IronMan0002005
1st Gear Member

So with this engine rebuild kit, I understand that there will need to be some machining done before and during the installation of the new internals. Does anyone know exactly what needs to be done?

And also I would like to run a turbo (nothing huge, just looking for around 15 lbs of boost, just want to land around 350 hp, maybe 400 tops). I haven't done any work with turbo before and I have heard that extra air passages and such have to be drilled, so on and so forth. So it's my understanding that with a turbo installation it's not just bolt on but more machining will have to be done. Any recommendations on turbo kits, and what all, aside from tuning, needs to be done to make those work? Or if this is the case, might there be an engine rebuild kit that is already compatible? Sorry, turbo is a whole new game for me, I know nothing about these really.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:07 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by IronMan0002005
So with this engine rebuild kit, I understand that there will need to be some machining done before and during the installation of the new internals. Does anyone know exactly what needs to be done?

And also I would like to run a turbo (nothing huge, just looking for around 15 lbs of boost, just want to land around 350 hp, maybe 400 tops). I haven't done any work with turbo before and I have heard that extra air passages and such have to be drilled, so on and so forth. So it's my understanding that with a turbo installation it's not just bolt on but more machining will have to be done. Any recommendations on turbo kits, and what all, aside from tuning, needs to be done to make those work? Or if this is the case, might there be an engine rebuild kit that is already compatible? Sorry, turbo is a whole new game for me, I know nothing about these really.

There isn't any machine work that NEEDS to be done, unless you are having the cylinder walls bored open a little more (not any real power gain for this application). I would suggest having a shop assemble it to make sure it's all tq'd to the right specs.

As for the turbo - 15 psi is a HUGE amount of boost for a motor like this. There are no bolt on turbo kits being made right now, so everything will have to be custom made or purchased as used. There are no extra air passages to be drilled. It's more or less plumbing a turbo into a full custom exhaust, then creating a full custom air inlet system. I'd only suggest that for someone well versed in both the V6 Mustang and custom fabrication. There are a few good supercharger kits out there that you can buy new (or used) that can be installed with basic hand tools over a weekend. Then all you need is a good dyno tune.