Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

85 Stang LX 2.3 to v8 swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 09:14 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

I think the springs and shocks will not allow you to keep the stock stance if you put a v8 in a previously 4 cylinder car. I've heard guys keeping it that way though, nicer for drag racing apprently.

You will want the complete engine wiring harness from the cougar. You will also want to mount it the same way it would be mounted on an EFI mustang. Not sure if the wires are the same length though.

The motor will mount properly with different motor mounts, might want a bigger radiator. I don't think they had AODs back then, so you'll need a different crossmember, and probalby driveshaft.

The main issue I have with v8 swapped mustangs is I've been told the 4 cylinder ones don't have reinforcements in the rear that the v8's have. Granted I've only been told this, but it was by several people and definitely swayed me away from buying a swapped car when I was looking for a fox back in April.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

The entire k-member should swap over. Granted I started with a V8 Cougar.

The AOD started in the Cougars in `80, so yes, it would be in an `88.

Essentially you will want to strip EVERYTHING, suspension, rear end, k-member, brakes, radiator, etc... Swap all of this over to the Mustang.

If you want to swap the engine to a carb, that is fine. Get a new intake and a carb, figure something out for your fuel pump get, you might not even have to change your ignition/distributor, I am not sure, I have never gone from EFI to carb.

If you have everything running in the Cougar, it might be easier and cheaper to swap it over with the EFI on it. The wiring is all there, just move it all.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Perkul8r

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
The entire k-member should swap over. Granted I started with a V8 Cougar.

The AOD started in the Cougars in `80, so yes, it would be in an `88.

Essentially you will want to strip EVERYTHING, suspension, rear end, k-member, brakes, radiator, etc... Swap all of this over to the Mustang.

If you want to swap the engine to a carb, that is fine. Get a new intake and a carb, figure something out for your fuel pump get, you might not even have to change your ignition/distributor, I am not sure, I have never gone from EFI to carb.

If you have everything running in the Cougar, it might be easier and cheaper to swap it over with the EFI on it. The wiring is all there, just move it all.
I was trying to find some clear info on the K member. Some places say that the 4cyl k member will work fine with the v8. Other places say that it wont.

If they are different, i should be able to just unbolt the K-member from the cougar and swap it into the mustang right?
Old 07-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

The motor mounts will be different, so you will have to get new motor mounts.

I have never used a 2.3L K-member on a V8 swap, but I have used V6 and an I6 k-member with new mounts. The only 4-8 swap I owned was done before I got it.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:22 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

unless the motor is moved forward you will have to get a different driveshaft since the wheel base is longer. You'll most likely have to get a higher flowing fuel pump for the v8, so don't knock out the efi option just yet. Are you going as cheap as possible or planning on upgrades? What is the use of the car?
Old 07-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Perkul8r

Originally Posted by clowe1965
unless the motor is moved forward you will have to get a different driveshaft since the wheel base is longer. You'll most likely have to get a higher flowing fuel pump for the v8, so don't knock out the efi option just yet. Are you going as cheap as possible or planning on upgrades? What is the use of the car?
I haven't quite ruled out the option of EFi. I see that the EFI on these cars is very easy to wire up. I would have to get new fuel lines, pump, and whatever else needed seems as how my Mustang is not fuel injected.

Why would I have to move the engine forward if using v8 mounts? The mounts on the motor are same as the mustang v8's. So thats not an issue. Unless you are saying that the K member mounts are further back on the 4 cyl, than I could see an issue.

Wheel base may be longer from the cougar to the mustang, but that has nothing to do with motor mounts and what not. I can get a mustang driveshaft. Thats no problem.

As far as what I intend to use the car for...well...anything. lol. Truelly I am just building the car to beat up my friends import cars. lol. However, After I get it running I would probably be leaning more towards a Straight line car than anything. But I wouldn't mind autocrossing the car too.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:54 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

If the two cars hsve different wheel bases then the drive shaft is most likely to be different too.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Perkul8r

Originally Posted by clowe1965
If the two cars hsve different wheel bases then the drive shaft is most likely to be different too.
I never planned on running the cougar driveshaft. I knew that would have to be mustang specific. I am planning on hitting up a junkyard soon to see if I can find the stuff for EFI. Here's hoping. Lol
Old 07-05-2013, 06:32 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Sounds like you've got most of it under control. Just start swapping stuff, if it doesnt fit then all you've done is lost time.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Perkul8r

I hope I got a good start on this project. Lol. I am so used to working on imports and semi's that I honestly have forgotten alot of the stuff i used to know about the older domestic cars.

Quick Reply: 85 Stang LX 2.3 to v8 swap