Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

Possible 2003 motor Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 05:36 PM
IronMan0002005
1st Gear Member

Starting to do some ground work for some sort of swap on this car and I have two questions. For starters I am looking at the possibility of keeping the v6 and replace it with a built 4.2 and probably putting a super charger on it instead of swapping to a v8. I know it's been done, anybody here done it and care to share your feedback? What all did you do to it, and what are your cars specs now?
Second, I'm looking at swapping the transmission soon because where I want to end up is above the torque specs on the stock t5. I am looking at one of the Ford Racing Tremec T56 on American Muscle and I see that there are two gear ratios available for that transmission. Has anyone used one of these, and how have the gear ratios worked for you? Is the differences in the gear ratios going to be noticeably different? I suspect that the difference starting in first with a 2.66 and 2.73 first is going to be considerable, but how much of a difference will there be cruising in 6th between a .63 and a .5 6th gear? I was considering the possibility of putting 4.10's in it, but I do a decent amount of driving on the interstate and I don't want to be doing 75-80 in 5th gear of my t5 running unnecessarily high rmps over extended periods of time while I travel between cities. To be honest I don't even know what the 5th gear ratio is on my t5, the research I have done on it pulls up answers anywhere from a 0.6 to 0.8. But back to my original question, has anyone used this transmission, and how is the gearing? Satisfactory shift points working up, and not too high on the interstate? Any recommendations between the two or might someone have something else to recommend?
Old 06-01-2014, 05:08 PM
IronMan0002005
1st Gear Member

Anybody put a 3.5L ecoboost in a mustang yet? I've read about a few people THINKING about swapping it for the 3.7L, but haven't found anything really conclusive on it.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:38 PM
IronMan0002005
1st Gear Member

Ok so the reading on the swap for a 3.5L swap just gave me a headache, so forget that idea. So here is what I'm looking at:
Built 4.3L motor from super six motor sports, whole set up, race crank, forged pistons, hardened rods, billet cams (haven't decided which yet), stage 3 heads, you guys get the idea. RAM Powergrip clutch from AM, lightened flywheel from SSM. Acquiring parts to switch to the windstar upper intake, bigger throttle body, CAI. One day planning on putting a really low profile butterfly scoop in it, but you guys can imagine all of the fabrication required for that trick.
Built T5 from a local race shop, or doing a little work and switching to a T56 (I think I would like this one better, but not sure that's a job to tackle at the moment). 8.8" differential.
Open to suggestions on a fuel pump. Looking at Ford Racing 60# fuel injectors unless anyone has a better suggestion.
Local exhaust shop is going to set up H-Pipes.
Local shop will handle the tunes as well.

The I almost have the engine picked out, save for the intake manifold and cams, and I need to make one more decision before I decide which of those I use. NA I believe it should be able to get at least 325-350hp. But I would like to be able to at least get into the 400's, so I'll need some form of boost. I'm completely undecided on this topic: super will be cheaper and easier, but as I've stated many times here I would prefer to avoid those. Might not mind the whipple supercharger though. I would much rather run turbo, but everyone here says the turbo set up for this car is a massive pain, and the race shops here just about cry even at the mention of setting one of those up. I found a set up where a guy had his exhaust manifolds were flipped so they faced forwards (I've seen this set up used on Gt's but this was the first time on the v6) and ran into his turbo in between the accessory drive belt and the radiator. Unfortunately his is a track car and his exhaust just turns down onto the ground from there. I might show the set up to my exhaust shop and see if he thinks he can set it up for a street car. Any thoughts or suggestions? Who here runs boost in a v6 and how do you have it set up? Anything other than the bolt on superchargers being used?
Old 06-08-2014, 03:46 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

The highest hp NA pushrod V6 is sitting about 275. You won't see more than that.
If you want to hit 400 and are going to boost it, do a nice heads/intake/cam on a built bottom end and boost away.
A Whipple is big time over kill on these motors. The M112 will get you there for a few hundred instead of a few grand on the compressor housing. IF you go this route, don't buy an Windstar intake.
The only turbo kit worth anything on the V6 is one from TMA or having one custom made buy one of the V6 specific builders.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:08 PM
IronMan0002005
1st Gear Member

Will defintely end up with boost, and the whipple comment was sarcastic. The point was that I can't think of many people who would MIND having a whipple lol. Gonna decide whether to try to find a turbo or go with super after I do some more talking to the exhaust guy.
Forged Crank
Forged H-Beam Rods
Forged pistons
Ported upper and lower intake
Polished and ported heads
Haven't decided on the exact cams yet, will decide after deciding turbo
1.7 rocker roller
Hardened pushrods
That's mostly the plans for the engine, I think it should hold plenty of boost lol
Old 06-21-2014, 05:42 PM
col2560
1st Gear Member

Default gearbox

http://www.holingeramerica.com/rd6.php
you won't break one of these !!

Last edited by col2560; 06-21-2014 at 05:43 PM. Reason: extra info