Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

Possible 2003 motor Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 04:54 PM
IronMan0002005
1st Gear Member

Default Possible 2003 motor Swap

I have an 03 v6 5-speed manual. I have become terribly bored with this car. I am looking to do a motor swap with it, and I am thinking of swapping either the GT motor for that year, or buying one of the coyote 5.0's. I have been told that this is an ridiculous swap to do, and that everything has to change. Beyond the obvious (engine, transmission, drive shaft, differential, motor mounts, (I imagine computer stuff)) what else would I need to do one of these swaps? Is the difference in the weight of the engine enough that I would need to change the suspension as well? Bigger fuel pump? Major electrical work? Any insight from anyone who has done one of these before? I made an inquiry on here before about it and the general idea that I got back was "Go buy a gt" but that isn't an option because my insurance would SKYROCKET. Anything else that would need to change for the GT motor to be in my car?
Old 09-06-2013, 12:10 PM
IronMan0002005
1st Gear Member

Ok, so further research on other boards and sites says the transmission is actually the same, so it appears that I wouldn't need the rest of the drivetrain to be changed. So it seems the things that would be immediately necessary would be motor mount conversions, exhaust, tuning and/or replacing the computer, the 4.6 bell housing, and the accessories. Is there anything that I overlooked or that anyone can think of?
Old 09-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

FRPP offers a coyote PCM harness with PCM

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...FQE6Qgodml4AnA
Old 09-06-2013, 06:16 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

This is one of those things that if you have to ask, you shouldn't do it.

You do not want to reuse your stock T5 or the 7.5" open diff rear end. You'll want EVERYTHING related to the motor/drivetrain to be new. You'll also need a custom fuel system, front suspension to handle the added weight, rewire the entire car and have something custom done with the dash to get your gauges working. You're looking at thousands and thousands of dollars.

Also, if getting a GT would spike your insurance, so would swapping in the V8 since you have to legally tell them it has been swapped.

Why not just drop a couple grand and supercharge your V6? What have you done to it already? Why did it get 'boring'?
Old 09-07-2013, 09:49 AM
IronMan0002005
1st Gear Member

Something seems wrong with the engine and it doesn't seem to have near the power that it used to. It makes lots of little noises that it shouldn't, it has a vacuum leak, the loss in power, I am just about ready to start fresh with this engine. So one way or the other I am looking at doing some sort of motor swap on this car soon.

I have only done minor things to the car so far, CAI, minor exhaust mod, recently changed the clutch. Mostly because I haven't been able to find anything short of drag racing parts for the v6. I found a company that makes all of the forged internals, ported and polished heads, custom cams/valves for the v6, but that's a lot farther than I would like to go to with a v6. Honestly, I would rather just have the v8. It sounds better, there are more aftermarket parts for the car, you can do more to it and get more out of it.

As for the super charger, I have looked into those and the research that I did showed that there were three main manufacturers of superchargers for my car, and that two of them couldn't be intercooled and were notorious for overheating, and the last one leaked oil like crazy. Aside from that, I'm not really fond of superchargers.

To make a long story short, the transmission and differential would be rebuilt or replaced shortly after the engine swap. Eventually I plan for nothing on this car to be stock. And I understand that all of that isn't going to be cheap, from the engine, to the tuning, to the drive train, etc.

My main concern is the electrical stuff that you're talking about. What is different that I would need to "rewire" the entire car? I know I would have to have the car retuned for the engine to work, and I imagine that the RPM and red line on the two engines are different so I would need to have those dials changed. From your last post it sounds like something else needs to be done for that to work?

Also, I wont be doing this alone
Old 09-07-2013, 10:06 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

There are LOTS of V6 performance parts. If you are looking for gains in that department, start with a 4.2L out of the F150. It's a direct drop in motor, and makes the same power as the old pushrod 5.0L V8. Ported stock heads, ported intakes and a good cam will set you up nicely for big power.

Not sure where you got your supercharger info, but it's wrong. ProCharger and Vortech both have cooler set ups you can pick from. Neither are prone to any issues. Paxton and Powerdyne both made set ups for the V6 as well. The M112 isn't cooled, but doesn't need to be if you set it up correctly. There are even a couple of TMA's old turbo set ups floating around if you wanted to go that route.

Also, anything you can do to a V8, you can do to a V6.

As far as the swap, if you REALLY want a V8, find a wrecked 99-04 4.6L and swap over EVERYTHING. Drop the motor on the K member and swap it all over. The wiring harnesses are different (underhood and under dash). Fuel system is different. You'll want the entire drivetrain and rear axle. There are a few threads about it if you search. It's more than most want to bite off when they realize what all is involved to gain less than 100 hp. If you are going through all of that trouble, look for a wrecked Cobra or Mach 1 and start with a 32V motor.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:09 PM
IronMan0002005
1st Gear Member

I have looked into the 4.2's and that's something I might use as a last resort. The research I did said that I should be able to get around 350hp before I would really have to start worrying about getting the engine built. But, I would really prefer just to go to a v8.

The main parts I found for the v6's was from supersixsports, and it was basically to completely build the engine. Forged internals and all that jazz. Everything else I found was small stuff, chips and such.

I know the super chargers can be pretty bad ***, we put one on my friends truck and that thing is fast as hell. But all of that stuff aside, I just don't really want one, so it wont be going in my car lol.

I actually looked briefly into buying a junked cobra engine block, and the junk yard wanted more for the engine block than I could pay for an entire new transmission and engine. If I could find a cobra drivetrain in decent enough condition for a reasonable price, that would be great. But the cobra parts that I have found are insanely priced, and I could get a GT engine built and machined to almost the cobra specs for less than the busted cobra engines I have found. So your would recommend buying a wrecked GT and having the major components rebuilt and swapped directly into my car?
Old 09-07-2013, 06:39 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Yeah, cheapest and easiest way is to get a similar year GT. That way you know you have all the parts you'll need sitting right there.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:39 PM
IronMan0002005
1st Gear Member

Yeah, part of the reason that I am looking to do the motor swap is because my current engine has a few problems. The other part might have something to to with the fact that I don't like that my mustang is a little *****. I'm looking to do something to make it a little more exciting. Something that I can build on a little more than a v6. Does anyone know of a 6-speed manual transmission that can handle some torque, that isn't a terrible price? I'm probably going to end up going with a gt tranny and get it rebuilt, maybe a cobra tranny if I can find one for a decent price. But does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes good transmissions for a decent price?

inb4 "if you're going to put something performance in it it's not going to be cheap." I already know that, and I already have a few options. Just want to see if anyone else knows of a transmission that can handle a little beating, but doesn't cost $10k.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:47 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Tremec T56 is the easiest to put in. They take a lot, but cost the price of a used SN95 V6 Mustang.

Quick Reply: Possible 2003 motor Swap