Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

whats needed to swap a 4.6L into ratrod

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 08:46 PM
rksnow1

Default whats needed to swap a 4.6L into ratrod

Hey Mustang Pros'

I've been reading the site for a long while but this is my first post. I recently got into an accident with my 2000 GT convertible. It was beyond repair so I decided to part it and take on another project Ive been toying with... I have an old 68 Jeep Gladiator truck (rat rod at this point) that needed a motor and trans, so I thought why not use the mustang drivetrain in it being I have it...

I have the 4.6 PI motor, auto trans, steering, etc mocked in place and ready to go. (It really was scary how easily things dropped into place). I plan on keeping the fuel injection, and whatever else I need to keep it running great like my mustang did.

I am going to be converting to aftermarket gauges to keep the vintage look of the truck. No airbags, idiot lights, AC, power options etc will be used.. Id like to be able to connect my scanner to troubleshoot the engine if possible but not a must have at this point. What is the minimal wiring, vacuum lines, emissions needed to get the motor and FI operating smoothly? I want to make sure I don't remove anything that would cause a no start situation.

Can anyone tell me If the motor will run with the ECU and engine bay harness section only or do I need any parts of the harness further into the dash or car?

Also I would like to minimize the wiring, emissions, etc to clean up the engine bay. Its not necessary, but thought it may be easier now while the motor is accessible..

lastly does anyone know the fuel pump ratings for the 2000 GT 4.6? I have to make a custom gas tank and need a new pump, probably go with a external pump for simplification of the build.

Thanks again! hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction.

Ill post pics of the build as I go