Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

Help 5.4l 2v Swap Tuning!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 01:25 PM
5.4lHeater

Question Help 5.4l 2v Swap Tuning!

Hey everyone, so quite clearly I'm new to the forums as far as using them. But, none the less, i figure you group of folks are the ones that could help. I bought a beautiful 96 GT swapped with a 5.4l 2v a couple years back. She hasn't gotten out much and I'm about to move to Florida where i can year-round her. I'm honestly quite familiar with the sn-95 world now. But, one thing I cannot seem to wrap my head around is tuning her. It is loaded as far as aftermarket, but after all that aftermarket was dropped alongside the 5.4 it was never tuned and honed in. Not to mention I truthfully don't know the extent of whats been done. The guy I bought it from was a recluse and didn't talk much. He sold it to me for dirt cheap because he was building a fox body and didnt have time for this old girl. It is running extremely rich with a jumpy idle so i refuse to get her going until I figure out where I should be looking. I really dont know too much about the car as far as the swap and motor stuff and thats a shame. I have done my research for over a year now though as far as aftermarket and modification EVERYTHING in my particular model. My question is, what do I do from here? Where or who should i go to to get the all around workshop? If i took it to a custom tuning shop, would they be able to tell me about it? What I might need? What I should replace? I intend on having it dyno tuned and it's never been clear to me whether if i took it to the dyno in rochester for tuning if they would do a quick lookover of everything? Just confused as far as tuning and could really use help!! I apologize if there is a thread similar to this somewhere. Just new to the forums. Any help or advice would be appreciated!!
Old 08-03-2016, 09:43 PM
an x0 androsian

I wish I could give you answers but hey I'm looking into a similar situation myself. I got a 99 3.8 that was swapped to a 5.0 from a 92 Fox. I've got the same "jumpiness" it's definitely a tuning thing. I'm running without a mass air flow sensor at the moment and I too will continue to work at it to make it my daily drive.

I just bought a new harness for the engine and I'm hoping to get the mass air flow sensor installed. I'll see what happens from there, at the moment though it's guzzling gas. When you get some insight on what's happening please send me a message.