Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

What years and model 5.4L fit in a new edge?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 01:14 PM
Stewart Rife

Default What years and model 5.4L fit in a new edge?

So I've done lots of research and I was going to do a 5.4 swap in my new edge. It's getting up in miles and wanted to just swap in a fresh motor, beings that 4V's are costly and hard to find and 4.6's are a dime a dozen but always have high mileage. It seems the 5.4 is the way to go for me, plus I'll be getting that extra oomph that the 4.6 couldn't do without full bolt ons.

My question is what years or model can I look for to get a 5.4 I've heard anything with the PI heads will work really so I'm looking around 00-?? If anyone has info on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:10 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Any 5.4 will fit, for PI heads I believe you wanna narrow your search to 2001+. The 2V 5.4 went out of production I think in 2005, when Ford started using the 3V top end in the F150/Expedition. You should be able to find whatever other info you need for the swap by searching though older threads in the 1996-2004 4.6 section.

Only a few things I really know about this swap....

The 5.4 PI (F150) intake manifold is different and since it was intended for a truck, produces peak torque at lower rpms and doesn't breathe as well as the Mustang/CrownVic etc 4.6 PI manifold. So, you will want to retain your 4.6 manifold, but it will require adaptor plates to mount up to the 5.4. Your other option is an HPS intake manifold, but I hear that in addition to being pricey they are also hard to come by these days.

You may also need an aftermarket cowl hood, as the 5.4 is a little taller. Although, I have come across a couple people over the years that were able to retain their stock hood, not sure if maybe they had to cut out a notch on the underside of it.

Other than that, my understanding is that other than the above its a pretty straightforward swap.