Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

4.6l Cobra Engine in 1967 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 08:54 PM
GPappy

Default 4.6l Cobra Engine in 1967 Mustang

Just bought a project vehicle which pretty much had the body work completed although there is some damage to the fiberglass hood and headlight bucket that needs to be fixed or replaced. There was a 4.6L Cobra engine in it with a 5 speed (Tremec 3650 I believe) out of a 2001. The shock towers were completely removed to fit it in. Just wondering if anyone here had ever done a similar swap and might have recommendations for a set of headers that might fit? I have never owned a Ford before so there is a lot for me to learn.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:58 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GPappy
Just bought a project vehicle which pretty much had the body work completed although there is some damage to the fiberglass hood and headlight bucket that needs to be fixed or replaced. There was a 4.6L Cobra engine in it with a 5 speed (Tremec 3650 I believe) out of a 2001. The shock towers were completely removed to fit it in. Just wondering if anyone here had ever done a similar swap and might have recommendations for a set of headers that might fit? I have never owned a Ford before so there is a lot for me to learn.
First thing I would do is look into what exactly was done to replace the upper "shock towers" which were removed. IOW, how is the suspension being held up? The entire weight of the front of the vehicle is carried by the shock towers in the first gen Mustang design. Unless the suspension was radically changed, i.e., a spring between upper and lower control arms added, thus changing the carrying of the vehicle weight to the lower arm, there maybe some serious problems present.

Similar suspension was used in the Fairlanes.To accomodate the width of the 427 engines used in the Fairlane Thunderbolt, a section of each tower was sliced away vertically, and thick plate welded in to provide the load-carrying support. The best pic I could find does not fully reveal the work done to the towers, but here's how the compartment looked:

Old 02-21-2018, 07:46 AM
GPappy

Thank you for the reply. I have not gotten it into the shop to take a good look at what was done but it has a Mustang II front suspension in it. First thing that I plan on doing it going over the suspension and brakes to see exactly what was done and if it needs any corrections made. I was told the car was gotten to this point in a reputable shop and the owner ran out of money so it has been sitting for a few years.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:48 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default 4.6l Cobra Engine in 1967 Mustang

GPappy, I wish I knew more about this project, but imp is exactly right. What I do know about the "Thunderbolt" is that in the mid-sixties, while at a IHRA sanctioned track, New York National Speedway. I was running my 1965 and a half Belvedere 2 in the BF/X class with my competition/race HEMI. During test and tune, I got paired with a 1966 Thunderbolt running in the AF/X class. It was one of the few cars that blew my doors off. I couldn't believe how fast its tail lights disappeared. I also love that "reverse" teardrop hood. I spotted a Thunderbolt at the 2017 NMRA Nationals at Bowling Green Kuntucky and couldn't take my eyes off it. Best of wishes GPappy, you chose a class act to bring to life.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:18 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Shock towers completely removed means someone put a Mustang II type front end in the car.
I did that on my 70 Cougar as I was going to put a Terminator mill in it but a 408 stroker was easier in the end...
As for headers, FRPP should carry a set if not, the known aftermarket like Hedman will.
From the headers back, a good exhaust shop will make the custom piping for you. You'll have to decide if you want to run long or shorty headers first...