Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

Coyote Swap Fuel System Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 02:08 PM
Daniel Lee

Default Coyote Swap Fuel System Questions

Hi, before anyone talks me out of doing this, I have already all the parts needed for the coyote swap into an 07 V6. The only thing now I'm figuring is how to get a nice fuel pump hat that has the return style inlet. The other way I was going to do was to solder a quick disconnect inlet onto the stock hat that came from a GT, but I was thinking if there was a better route for doing this, maybe a 99-04 4.6L pump? I'm open to many suggestions and also other tips on how to perform this swap (I'm doing it in a garage with the help of a friend)
Old 03-12-2018, 11:21 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Danny, on my 450 rwhp 308 1992 mustang, I deadheaded it with great results. Returnless fuel systems are quite different, from return systems, and can be complicated. The fuel pressure is controlled by the amount of voltage being sent to the pump and other electronics. In a returnless system, the fuel pump is not operating at 100% of its duty cycle. These systems also use an FPDM (Fuel Pump Driver Module), which is an electrical device designed to keep the desired pressure at the injectors and controls the power sent to the fuel pump. A PPRV (Positive Pressure Relief Valve) which is implemented to maintain the pressure in the system when you turn the car off, which allows for easy start-ups and it also prevents excessive pressure in the lines. There is no return line from the fuel rails back to the tank.

More technological and modern when compared to the return style system
No return line (hence returnless), less line, less weight and fuel line cost
Easy start ups
Fuel is always pressurized even when the engine is off
Requires module tuning for fuel pressure change

My approach to fuel delivery is if over 500 RWHP, I will install a "return style" fuel system. By the way, this is a great swap which I am going to do with my 1987 Foxbody. Some fabrication will be needed. Have you thought about carburetion? Also, check the "Engine Swap" section, there might be some useful information there.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:01 PM
Daniel Lee

Buck, well, I finally did a lot of research and decided upon an Aeromotive return style meant for the 2005-2009 GTs that are just plug and play, although they are costing me much more and are expanding my budget exponentially. I did check the engine swap section a lot, and that is what inspired to get this build going. Everything should be arriving soon and I might start a build thread, and hey, I really wanna see your Foxbody coyote swap too. I did go the lazy way and ordered FRPP Control Pack, hence the need for a return fuel system.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:53 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Daniel Lee, you are headed in the right direction. I have been using Aeromotive systems for decades. On our turboed, 88mm, Dart 363, producing, on the dyno, 1,010 RWHP, in a 1987 fastback, we are using a Aerodyne "Brushless: 11180 complete system. You are doing a great swap, and I like your style of reachersing and investing your money wisely on this project. Making power costs money, and making power the correct way costs even more money. For my engines under 800 hp, I still love the Aerodine 1000. P.S. I have sold the 308 and now running a 1987 Foxbody with a 331 stroker, on a 200 hit of juice. This is one of my daily drivers that I have fun with on the street. Me and my nephew are also considering putting a, if I dare say so, a Chevy 383 stroker, of course on the juice, in a Foxbody. And my psychiatrist says I'm crazy.