Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

has anyone swapped a carbureted 5.0 into a 2005 V6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 11:54 AM
4.o stang
1st Gear Member

Default has anyone swapped a carbureted 5.0 into a 2005 V6?

I have a 2005 mustang v6 that I'm building for drifting and I'm wondering if anyone has ever swapped a carbureted 302 5.0 into a 4.0. I don't have much money to go on so I was thinking of looking for a 5.0 at a junkyard and slowly building it. I was thinking it would be easier since I wouldn't have to worry to much about messing with the computer. I was wondering how many things I would have to change, if I could still use the manual tranny from the 4.0 and the same diff( I have an upgraded limited slip 7.5 diff). any info would help.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:07 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

4.o, It sounds like you are on a limited budget. One of our race teams is running a "drifter" and said it takes a ton of money, and tons of horsepower to even think about building a drifter. You are correct about going the carburetor route with the engine upgrade. Carburetion is cheaper and less technical unless you have a good working knowledge of EFI systems. If you go carbureted, just remove everything that is related to the EFI system. You can retain everything in the fuel delivery system, just install a good fuel pressure regulator. If you are building moderate horsepower, a 190 lph fuel pump in the tank would be a good idea. If you have good mechanical instinct the fuel lines won't' be a big issue. As far as the automatic goes, here is a good point made by a fellow blogger, Herbstang. You could drift with an automatic transmission but you'd have a lot less control than you could with a manual.
What if half way around a corner it decides to shift? Using an auto not only eliminates many techniques used to initiate a drift, but puts you at the mercy of the transmission. It doesn't know the difference between going up a steep hill and sliding around a turn. Are you sure you want to go drifting with a Mustang?
Old 05-12-2018, 06:25 PM
4.o stang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buck Sergeant
4.o, It sounds like you are on a limited budget. One of our race teams is running a "drifter" and said it takes a ton of money, and tons of horsepower to even think about building a drifter. You are correct about going the carburetor route with the engine upgrade. Carburetion is cheaper and less technical unless you have a good working knowledge of EFI systems. If you go carbureted, just remove everything that is related to the EFI system. You can retain everything in the fuel delivery system, just install a good fuel pressure regulator. If you are building moderate horsepower, a 190 lph fuel pump in the tank would be a good idea. If you have good mechanical instinct the fuel lines won't' be a big issue. As far as the automatic goes, here is a good point made by a fellow blogger, Herbstang. You could drift with an automatic transmission but you'd have a lot less control than you could with a manual.
What if half way around a corner it decides to shift? Using an auto not only eliminates many techniques used to initiate a drift, but puts you at the mercy of the transmission. It doesn't know the difference between going up a steep hill and sliding around a turn. Are you sure you want to go drifting with a Mustang?
yes I know it takes a lot of horse power but I've been going to a couple of events already with how I have it right now and I've been doing fairly well. right now my car is pretty much stock all it has done is long tube header with straight pipes, and I installed a dual caliper set for the hydro brake and gutted the interior completely. I think you might have misunderstood, my car Is manual I was just wondering if I can keep the stock tranny and mount it into the new motor without any trouble or with minimal work. I appreciate the info though, thanks.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:59 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by 4.o stang
and the same diff( I have an upgraded limited slip 7.5 diff). any info would help.
That 7.5" rear end will not last long. It is very weak - even after building one up (worse modding decision ever) it took very little to break it.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:15 PM
4.o stang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
That 7.5" rear end will not last long. It is very weak - even after building one up (worse modding decision ever) it took very little to break it.
cool so swap it to the 8.8. got it! thanks
Old 05-13-2018, 05:43 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

4.o stang, I received a call from the drift team I mentioned. They are campaigning a drift Mazda MX-5NB and they advised me they found out that there are Mustangs that are drifting. They said a fella, Ken Block, is doing quite well in his division. Sorry I sounded negative, but I was not aware that Mustangs are being drifted. If the manual tranny you mention is a T-5, I would plan on getting a upgraded tranny for drifting. The T-5 is weak going into second and third gear and could cause problems. I started with a T-5 in the 1987 Fox Body,331 stroker, and was soon calling Tremec for a TKO 500. Now this was strictly for drag racing so I can not speak to drifting. Stay with your project and best of wishes. P.S. Jim C is on the money about replacing the 7.5 with a 8.8.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:17 PM
4.o stang
1st Gear Member

4.o stang, I received a call from the drift team I mentioned. They are campaigning a drift Mazda MX-5NB and they advised me they found out that there are Mustangs that are drifting. They said a fella, Ken Block, is doing quite well in his division. Sorry I sounded negative, but I was not aware that Mustangs are being drifted. If the manual tranny you mention is a T-5, I would plan on getting a upgraded tranny for drifting. The T-5 is weak going into second and third gear and could cause problems. I started with a T-5 in the 1987 Fox Body,331 stroker, and was soon calling Tremec for a TKO 500. Now this was strictly for drag racing so I can not speak to drifting. Stay with your project and best of wishes. P.S. Jim C is on the money about replacing the 7.5 with a 8.8.
no worry man. I appreciate the concern. now reguading the tranny, I know mine is pretty weak I've already replaced the shift for on one of then but how much more durable is the one from the GT's and would it just bolt up to the 302 or would I need an adapter? again thanks for all the info!
Old 05-14-2018, 06:14 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

4.o, here is some cool information supplied by a fellow mustanger, Z28ricer, "You can use it, you'll need a V8 bellhousing, it is weaker, the clutch input shaft is 1" 14 spline, you can get a disc made the correct 10.5" dia with the 1" 14 spline hub to make it work perfectly normal, need everything else stock V8, bellhousing, flywheel, pressure plate, hydraulics and pedals are the same of course."
The big problem is the V6 T5 is 14 spline, and the V8 T5 could be either 10 or 26 spline. Hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:20 AM
4.o stang
1st Gear Member

4.o, here is some cool information supplied by a fellow mustanger, Z28ricer, "You can use it, you'll need a V8 bellhousing, it is weaker, the clutch input shaft is 1" 14 spline, you can get a disc made the correct 10.5" dia with the 1" 14 spline hub to make it work perfectly normal, need everything else stock V8, bellhousing, flywheel, pressure plate, hydraulics and pedals are the same of course."
The big problem is the V6 T5 is 14 spline, and the V8 T5 could be either 10 or 26 spline. Hope this helps.
okay, so how about the stock tranny that the 302 comes with? is that one any good or is there any that are better that won't be too much of a pain to adapt.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:24 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

4.o, go to this web sight. It will explain all your tranny questions.
https://lmr.com/products/Mustang-Tra...ion-V8-Mustang

Quick Reply: has anyone swapped a carbureted 5.0 into a 2005 V6?