Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

Does a 4.6l 2v from an F150 bolt in like a 4.6 3v from a GT? 600hp Shelby for 12k?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 05:10 PM
MastersBastard

Default Does a 4.6l 2v from an F150 bolt in like a 4.6 3v from a GT? 600hp Shelby for 12k?

Hey guys, I’ve decided to swap out the 4.0 V6 from my 2005 Mustang for a V8 and was wondering if the 4.6l 2v from the F150’s would mount in just as the 3v 4.6 from a GT would?I have a mint condition torch red 2005 Mustang V6 with red interior, Shelby hood, Ford Racing suspension, aftermarket headlights, as well as aftermarket exhaust and a bunch of engine upgrades too, but the engine just decided to leak all of its coolant and tranny fluid at once and I’m not really looking forward to putting a nice chunk of change into fixing the V6, and since the tranny is an auto anyways, I’m thinking it’s a good time to just rip out the entire engine and transmission and swap in something better. The car is in great shape which is why I think it’s worth swapping another motor into it. As of right now I’m no more than 6 thousand bucks away from having a 600hp Shelby look-a-like if I can get a a 2v 4.6 from an F150 to mount in like the 4.6l from the Mustang GT would. I know the car will never be fully Shelby, but it will have the GT500 rear bumper and ducktail spoiler, the Shelby hood and side louvers, Shelby style rims and tires, etc. Cosmetically it will have everything Shelby except for the front nose, and even though it won’t have a 5.4 ( also an option) it will be making 600hp which is more power than a GT500 makes. That’s about 12k total for a 600hp Shelby look-a-like….not bad.
First of all, I know how much work it is to do the swap and what I’ll need. I’m also aware that I can get good power out of the V6 for a lot cheaper than doing the V8 swap, but realistically the most power you can get out of the 4.0 is about 400-450hp,and that’s only when fully built and supercharged. Considering the fact that a good supercharger is around 5k alone, it soon becomes apparent that swapping in a V8 is the only practical option if you’re looking for real power. The only cheap options to make good power out the 4.0 is to get an Eaton M90 supercharger out of an old Bonneville or Grand Prix and buy the adapter which allows it to bolt right on to the Mustang, but costing around 1500 bucks, this cheap-o solution isn’t really all that cheap, especially if you plan on paying somebody to do the work for you. It’s also worth mentioning how you’ll never be able to adequately simulate the beautiful exhaust note of a V8 no matter what you do to the V6.

LINKS:

PICS OF MY CAR:

https://imgur.com/a/0cINS6E

https://imgur.com/a/5OrArr3

Engine I want to swap in:592HP 4.6L 2V Motor For $2,298 - Hot Rod Network https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp...otor-for-2298/

Old 10-11-2018, 05:12 PM
MastersBastard

Why the **** can I not edit my posts? The formatting is all ****ed up too and I can't even edit the ****ing post? No icon to click, nothing, WTF?
Old 10-15-2018, 03:02 AM
Nikita_str77

Dude, hey. If wiring harness are the same u can do it.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:48 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by MastersBastard
Why the **** can I not edit my posts? The formatting is all ****ed up too and I can't even edit the ****ing post? No icon to click, nothing, WTF?
You are probably too new to have certain right.

Anyways, back to your original post.

Any engine swap to a completely different motor is not an easy swap.

There's the engine itself which will need the appropriate engine mounts, there's the Control Module (PCM, ECM/BCM) and then the engine bay wiring harness. Those three things are critical before you even start talking about a swap. Then there's exhaust mods to make the manifolds/headers from an engine mesh with your existing exhaust, or just start from scratch and have custom exhaust.

If you are putting in an older style engine (2v) into a newer 3V chassis you will most likely need custom exhaust. Then you also have Smog to consider. I don't know how they are in Canada but in some US states the emisssions have to be the same or better than those levels set for the year of vehicle the chassis is registered as. Meaning, if the car is an 06 Mustang V6, the emissions from the V8 whatever year it may be, have to be the same or better. This isn't the case if the engine is from the same year or generation of vehicle. So you could put in a 3V v8 from any 05-09 mustang GT and be fine.