Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

Help not sure what to do

Old 02-09-2019, 10:19 AM
JdmStang

Default Help not sure what to do

Hey guys I’m new to the forum and I’m sure this has been asked before, but all of my google searches have not yielded enough information as to what I should do in my situation. I am 19 and my girlfriend and I live on our own so we’re on a budget. She has an 01 3.8l 5 speed. It’s getting up there in the mileage and it has an oil leak from the rear main seal and the valve cover gaskets. I recently got her a ton of aftermarket parts to repair and improve some things and she likes the car and we got it for cheap so we don’t want to sell it in exchange for a v8. I would like to know what my best swap options are. I’ve seen some cheap 3.8 and t5 combos on the net. I just think that if I’m doing all the work of pulling the engine I might as well swap in something better. How hard would it to drop in a built 4.6 with a built t3650? Is it easier to build up a 5.4 from an e350? I’ve heard of lsx and 2jz swaps in these stangs, is that a good option? Thanks for any and all input and following my strange rant of a question!
Old 02-09-2019, 02:55 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Welcome!

What kind of a budget are we talking about here? Anything but an Essex V6 is going to be a headache, to some extent. Even a "regular" V8 swap is going to involve a PCM, wiring harness, & front springs...
Old 02-09-2019, 09:03 PM
JdmStang

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro
Welcome
All said and done I’d like to be done under 5k? I live near a few junkyards was thinking of maybe going that route. Every time I go tho mustang engines are already taken 🤯
Old 02-11-2019, 09:05 PM
Agacerie

Realistically, unless you're a really solid wrench who already has the tools and the garage space, just buy another car. You're looking at dropping another 5k into a car that's likely not going to be worth 5k when you finish. Start with a GT that needs some love and wrench as you have time/money. I also don't recommend turning your wife's daily into a project unless you plan on buying her something else. What you think is going to take "a few weekends" can turn into months of down time. Consider getting a second job and dedicating those funds to your new habit. You get a ride and stay married.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:58 PM
JdmStang

Originally Posted by Agacerie
Realistically, unless you're a really solid wrench who already has the tools and the garage space, just buy another car. You're looking at dropping another 5k into a car that's likely not going to be worth 5k when you finish. Start with a GT that needs some love and wrench as you have time/money. I also don't recommend turning your wife's daily into a project unless you plan on buying her something else. What you think is going to take "a few weekends" can turn into months of down time. Consider getting a second job and dedicating those funds to your new habit. You get a ride and stay married.
probably the safer route! She’s the one complaining that it’s not fast enough though 😂. Next car will be a v8! Thanks for the input