Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

78 Mustang II

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 03:17 AM
Blue coyote

Default RE: 78 Mustang II

Welcome aboard.

I'm a relative newbie around here too, but not so much a newbie to the II. Kinda funny, though...I just picked up a 78 V6 auto that hasn't run in a few years, too! Mine's a coupe, though. I had to replace the battery, the battery cables, the clamps, the gas, and the carb. Then it fired up and smoked like bleached drag slicks for almost a 1/2 hour. Other than adjusting the choke, it purrs like a kitten now.

One thing to remember when you fire it up. The 2.8 doesn't have hydraulic lifters. The valves should be set manually (and often aren't), so it may have a very "tappy" sound to it when it fires up. As long as it runs and sounds relatively good otherwise the tapping of the valves is not an immediate issue (just a basic maintenance issue)

Whereabouts in Ontario are ya? I know of several II owners scattered through eastern (and western) Canada
Old 01-10-2007, 03:33 AM
shug

Hi and thanks, I'am in North western Ontario...in the boonies and cold ...that makes it frustrating to work on the car. Think I will pull the carb out, and check the intake at the same time, that way it gives me something to work on and not in the cold. Need to get myself a Manual somewhere, any idea of a good source other than the normal Haynes/Chilton.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:04 AM
Blue coyote

I have the Haynes, Chilton's, Clymer, and the more generalized Chilton's 72-79 auto repair hardcover. Between those, my relevent Bronco II/Ranger books, the net, and a bit of redneckology mixed with luck....I get by
Old 01-10-2007, 06:34 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

id rebuild the carb or replace it plugs and wires maybe coil too give it a tune up and a bottle of seafoam works wonders
Old 01-10-2007, 12:31 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

why dont you go ahead and try to start this thing before you start ripping things apart. hell you may just get lucky, or at least have a better idea of where your at.

course if your gonna play with a carb you can always grab one of these:

http://racerwalsh.zoovy.com/product/RWA6110

and one of these:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Old 01-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Blue coyote

ORIGINAL: my77stang

why dont you go ahead and try to start this thing before you start ripping things apart. hell you may just get lucky, or at least have a better idea of where your at.

course if your gonna play with a carb you can always grab one of these:

http://racerwalsh.zoovy.com/product/RWA6110

and one of these:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

In my own case....Been there, done that (but with a 400 CFM Carter), still got it, throwing it into the 78 T-top as a power UPGRADE from the stock 302.

That's one of the reasons I want to put a Rad or T5 bellhousing onto a Toyo/Kogyo 5-speed. I ran one behind this little 200 hp 2.8 in a 4x4 Bronco II, so I know it'll be reliable...
Old 01-11-2007, 12:04 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

if your t-top car is setup for a v8 already take advantage and sweeten THAT motor up a little. it wouldnt take much and you'd have ALOT more power
Old 01-11-2007, 12:18 AM
Blue coyote

Still got some of the V8 parts, but the car hasn't had a drivetrain in it for close to 15 years.

I have this nice little 200 hp 2.8 with a 7400 RPM redline and its somewhere around 150 lbs less weight than a 302. It seemed to make slightly over stock torque at idle, but was fully capable of pulling wheelies in a Bronco II running 32" tires, locked 4.10 gears, a 2.48:1 reduction transfer case, etc...

Oh, and it was not only smogged as an 84 stock 2.8, but got well over 15 MPG around town as a daily driver....which is a bit of a bonus when local gas prices are sitting at over $1/liter for 87 octane.

Besides, the only 302 I have is sitting under the hood of my 77 Cobra II
Old 01-11-2007, 10:52 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

as long as you know the 302 parts for the M II's are golden

i could actually use a fan shroud and a maybe a radiator - but i'll prolly end up with a custom 4 core aluminum.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Blue coyote

Unfortunately, the shroud was gone when I bought the car many years ago, and I think the rad ended up as scrap. I'm pretty sure I still have the engine mounts, but they're in a crate of misc. mounts and I don't know which are which. I know I DO have the stock exhaust manifolds, Y-pipe, etc. and the V8 frame brackets are still in the engine compartment if anyone needs them. I also have assorted II parts that have accumulated over the years...

Quick Reply: 78 Mustang II