Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

78 v6 mustang. if u know anything about this car ....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 01:22 AM
xX98StallionXx
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 78 v6 mustang. if u know anything about this car ....

Ok, this is a quote out of Hot Rod Magazine "Hotrod Archive" Muscle Caredition. under the headline "Sprint"

In 1972, Ford offered "sporty" sprint option pagckages for its mustang, maverick and pinto models. They were decor packages only, and none was a "Muscle car", really. But we cant resist a gal in hot pants and gogo boots
(there was a model in go-go boots next to the car...)

Any way, on the page was a '72 Maverick, Mustang and Pinto, all with the same body styling because they had similar packages. Hence why i said they appear to look alike.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:31 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

the mavericks dont really like that close to the mustang II or pintos (which DO like kinda similar..... kinda, even though really they ARENT the same car)

just remember, the oh so loved fox body stangs share their unibody structure with this ugly mug.....

Old 04-30-2007, 01:31 AM
xX98StallionXx
5th Gear Member

http://www.dragtimes.com/images/7121...rd-Mustang.jpg

http://www.lovefords.org/78/pintobob..._cover_001.jpg

They just look alil similar is all.

Lol, foxbodys are the new voices of the track tho.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:45 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

you gotta admint though...... Mustang II > Pinto
Old 04-30-2007, 03:54 AM
xX98StallionXx
5th Gear Member

oh god for sure lol.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:01 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

i dont know why the pinto got such a bad rep the maverick is 10 times uglier and fox 4 banger are just a bad as a pinto performance wise. a 79 4 made like 68-88 hp at the damn crank! that like 50 at the wheels on a bad day , lol!
i have a 4.2l v8 outa a 80 mustang it looks to have a smaller oil pan than a 302 without the double hump, wonder if it will clear the k memeber??? and i have the c4 that came with it and another c4 with a smaller bellhousing as well. i want to put this motor in it since its sitting here and runs great and was rebuilt in 89 as well. im not trying to make the car fast, just drivable and dependable for cruising
Old 04-30-2007, 04:03 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

crown vic? ltd? fairmount or sum crap?
ORIGINAL: my77stang

the mavericks dont really like that close to the mustang II or pintos (which DO like kinda similar..... kinda, even though really they ARENT the same car)

just remember, the oh so loved fox body stangs share their unibody structure with this ugly mug.....

Old 04-30-2007, 11:28 AM
gwb16
2nd Gear Member

You'll have to have the oil pan and pick up tube for the MUSTANG II. Nothing else will clear the rack and pinion cross member. Even with the MII oil pan you have less than a 1/4" clearance.....I saw somewhere - just recently that someone had put a 4.2L in a 78 II, it was a sweet set-up, fuel injection and chromed out like a mother. When I get home this evening, I'll see if I can find the link. It may of been on www.mustangii.net or www.mustangii.org - I honestly can't remember which site it was right now. I'll research it tonight and post it after I find it.(If I can find it)
I also have to come clean - I NEVER would of went searching for 78 Mustang II, I stumbled across this one by pure accident. It had been parked for 17 years, 83k original miles, unmolested, NO RUST/DENTS to be found. Interior needed some help - mice! Had been covered in a garage the entire time. Price was unbelievable - so I figured WTF - why not? I have had more fun with this car than I ever had in my 67 Mercury Cougar X-R7 or my 66 Ford Fairlane GTA or my 66 Chevrolet C-10 (and that had a 350 w/ 400+ HP, TH-350 & 4:11 gears). Would I buy another? Damn right I would and I'd build it even tougher than the current one I own. Lot's of fun and extremely rare, I draw a lot of lookers when I'm out and about - even some snickers/giggles until I fire it up and then someone realizes "OH SH*T" this car is for REAL.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:37 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

that pic i posted was of a fairmont btw - ugly as hell.

gwb is right, the II oil pans are front sump, and i dont know which "smaller" bellhousing you have, but chances are your going to have fitment issues. i DO have an extra automatic flexplate, but i dont have a converter or bellhousing. edge racing is a great place for a converter and the bellhousing you'd have to look on ebay or mustangII.net or .org
Old 04-30-2007, 01:52 PM
gwb16
2nd Gear Member

Default It was a 4.6L but it is SWEET!!!!!

Here's the link - guess if you've got REALLY deep pockets you can afford this kind of set up!

http://www.mustangii.net/46l_ii.asp

If you're just looking to get it running for a potential sale, why not just rebuild - if possible. As long as it's not a rust bucket, dust it off, paint it and roll it on.....You gotta be careful though, spare parts are difficult to come by and are usually expensive not many reproduction parts available yet. I've seen the C-4 bellhousing go for over $200 on B-bay and a rusted, dented oil pan sold for $150 for the 302.
Good luck, either way. Hopefully it won't be left to just rot away. The value of these little "junkers" have been steadily climbing over the last few years. I remember guys buying wrecked II's just for the front end so that they could put it under their Nova's and Chevy II's, can't help but wonder how many were ripped to shreds for a Bowtie!

Quick Reply: 78 v6 mustang. if u know anything about this car ....