Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

Fuel Pump question....

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:53 PM
lewyk

Default Fuel Pump question....

This is for my '77 V-6....

I have just started to work on the car after owning it for about 3 years, 2 of them sitting....

Currently the fuel pump is a Carter Hi-Flo pump.... But it leaks something bad...

I bought just the standard Mechanical Fuel pump...

The problem is that the Carter has an internal spring that the fuel pump rod goes into, wheres the OEM part has a spring on it with a rod in it... So the rod coming out of the block sticks out too far for the new pump to fit....

So if I understand this correct, I have to turn the crankshaft to the #1 position (dead center) in order for the rod to slide all the way in so I can install the new pump????? What is the best way to do this?

Please be patient with me, I am learning as I go as I am in no way a mechanic lol

Old 08-21-2007, 08:08 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel Pump question....

just turn the motor over until the rod goes in, it doesnt have to be exactly on #1 (if thats even correct). either way though, once you start tightening the bolts it will squeeze the pump down on there. it shouldnt be a problem, go kick its butt and let me know how everything worked out for you
Old 08-21-2007, 06:15 PM
lewyk

That's what I thought, just wanted to be sure.

With it being a new pump, the spring is super tight so that makes it a little more difficult but I figure if I can get the two bolts started at least I can tighten them up a little at a time evenly...

It's going to be a little bit before I crawl under the beast again, kinda tore up my wrist at work last week and tightening bolts probably isn't the best thing to do for it right now
Old 08-21-2007, 09:09 PM
lewyk

Ok , after thinking about it I have decided to go another route....

I am thinking of going electrical...... But with my lack of experience and knowledge I am a little hesitant....

1. Can anyone offer suggestions about what fuel pump I should consider? I can't spend too much on it, and I don't need anything fancy....

2. Does anyone have a scan of install instructions for a basic electric fuel pump so I can see if I think I can do it
Old 08-21-2007, 09:29 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

why would you want to go electric? just install the mechanical pump and have it be done the right way. if you go electric you'll have to make a blockoff plate and wire up a pump, then depending on the pump you may have to get a regulator.

just install the mechanical and leave it at that.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:54 PM
lewyk

Yea, I know your right lol I'll have to wait till my wrist is better so I can have the strength to do the job lol....

I know you are going to get tired of me eventually, just trying to learn. But the pushrod sticks out of the block about 1 1/2 inches, which fit right into the old pump, but the new pumps spring goes into the hole about that far, so I would have to compress the spring all the way while tightening the bolts??

I'm just really trying to avoid digging too far into the engine right now as the weather is getting better and I would like to drive my car.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:29 AM
lewyk

Ok, problem solved...

Went to Schuck's and after about 30 minutes of cross referencing parts and research we found the right fuel pump... Part # M60331 Carter Fuel Pump Mechanical Cartr

After I got home I did a little more research.... This pump is for the following engines:

1986 AEROSTAR
1983 - 1985 RANGER
1984 - 1985 BRONCO II

All have the same engine:
V6 2.8 Liter 2BBL - 171 CID VIN S O.H.V.

There are two options as to why this pump was in my car:
1. Engine swap... But there are Mustang specific parts in the engine, with the "z" in the part numbers.... So I doubt it.

2. Someone took the pushrod and pump from one of these engines and replaced the pushrod and pump in this one... Is that possible?

No matter really, I got the pump on and as soon as I get the carb rebuilt I can finally drive my car lol

So now I have a fuel pump I don't need... I'm sure I can sell it to someone though
Old 08-25-2007, 12:39 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

so, the same motor has two different pumps and pump rods depending on which vehicle the motor was installed in?
Old 08-25-2007, 11:48 PM
lewyk

That's what I would assume.... That would explain why the pushrod seemed too long for the pump that was supposed to go on the engine.... Cause it was.