Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

found...but is it a good deal???

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:01 PM
hellbilly934

Default found...but is it a good deal???

'74 II! hasnt been cranked in 4yrs, hasnt been inspected in 10yrs...but it's 100% complete & intact, not in pieces! the guy's askin somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000.

so my question to you is this...

i dont know much about the II's, but i do know they are becoming more rare by the year. this is a survivor car, but it's pretty rough. so...is it worth it?
Old 04-23-2008, 05:19 AM
gwb16
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: found...but is it a good deal???

I hate making a blanket response......but, the real question is....Is it worth it to YOU? If it's in rough shape, as you said, then 1K may be a bit steep. I bought a 78 with a toasted 302 but everything else seemed to be in excellent shape, for $500, since then I have about $5500 in receipts, $4000 of that in the engine compartment alone....but I readily admit that I went a little overboard on my engine build/selection. My car had been parked for 18 years, which didn't bother me....until I started cleaning and inspecting. At some point during it's barn storage, mice had gotten into the car and I had about 10 lbs of acorns and pecans in the ventilation ducts, luckily no wires had been chewed on and the seats were unmolested. Did I get a good deal? I think so....primarily because you just don't see these cars on the road very frequently. They are becoming much more collectible, slowly, but their values are increasing. You do need to keep in mind that parts are very difficult to come by, eBay can be your friend or enemy - LOL!
I've had some Fox body guys in my town give me a good natured ribbing about owning a "II" but once I fire this puppy, hopefully this weekend, they'll realize that my car wasn't what Ford had originally designed it to be....big cam, loud exhaust, high compression. I'm sure that I'll get plenty of looks at the first car show that I attend and even more when I fire it up.
Sooooo, 1K bucks? Might be a good price, without seeing any pictures, it's kind of hard for me to give you the green light. Like I said the only thing I can offer is - Is it worth it to you? If you buy it and find out that it's more than you wanted to tackle, you can EASILY part it out on eBay and for probably a lot more than your $1K investment.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:14 PM
hellbilly934

well, i talked to the owner just a few minutes ago...we're gettin together tomorrow for a look-see & a bartering session. he says he needs @least $1200, but i'm sure he'll go much lower. see, the sad thing is...he has no clue what he he's sittin on! his loss, my gain!

so i'll make sure to take a few pics & add 'em up here tomorrow! wish me luck!
Old 04-23-2008, 08:37 PM
gwb16
2nd Gear Member

good luck! pictures - post some pics!
Old 04-27-2008, 05:15 PM
hellbilly934

i know it's been a few days...but here's the latest.

this poor car has seen much better days! the VIN # suggests it came factory w/ a 302...but it has a sad 4banger in it now.

the interior looks like a band of midget gypsies has lived in it since the early 80's.

the body is straight as an arrow, but the undercarriage looks like someonetried to drive it up a mountainside.

so...as much as i'd absolutely love to own this car, i just isnt for me. it would make a helluva project for someone w/ the right amount of know-how, a boatload of money & all the time in the world. but for me, it'd just end up sittin in my shop 'til i got sick of lookin @ it. lol

so...THE SEARCH CONTINUES!

Old 04-28-2008, 05:20 AM
gwb16
2nd Gear Member

Definitely sounds like you can find "other" options, if it's in that much of need, he's asking too much money for it. At least he isn't selling it for scrap. Someone will hopefully pick it up and bring her back to life! Good luck in your search. I see on Ebay that there is one sweet *** 78 Cobra II for sale, 32K original miles, gorgeous car, absolutely beautiful, bidding was up to $4500 last night but the reserve hadn't been met yet, I'm watching it to see how much she goes for. Original owner car, dude said he ordered it from the factory new. Wish I had the bones to pick it up but I gotta let this one slide....LOL! I'll keep my eyes peeled for you here in Southeastern, VA....just in case. They're far and few between in this area though. I know where there is a 77 Cobra, I stopped to ask him about it and his response was "forget about it!" Two days later it was under a cover - LOL!