Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

302 Belts and Pulleys - How Many Do I Need?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:37 AM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default 302 Belts and Pulleys - How Many Do I Need?

I appologize but I'm more confused than a blind lesbian at a fish market! (Oh relax it's a joke for crying out loud) As you know us Mustang II guys get no love when it comes to documentation or parts, and us Mustang II 302 guys get even less, (one chapter to be exact in the Haynes manual, I know I own it). I think it is time to run my water pump before I weld that engine shut starting it without it, so... I have a D5ZE-6312-A2A three groove crank pulley, a D5ZE-8509-AB water pump pulley, and a D7TE-AA 34 water pump.

PROBLEMS:

1. The water pump pulley does not align with any of the grooves on the crank pulley below it. It sits too close to the water pump and should be about 1/4 inch out towards the radiator more. Can I shimmy it with some spacer or do I have the wrong pulley. [History] It came with the engine but was just wedged on the shaft and not bolted on, possibly a transplant.

2. I thought the water pump uses it's own belt, and the alternator uses it's own, (as shown on the black and white photo on my Haynes papyrus scroll). I pulled the alternator off of a 351 '76 Cougar at the Pick N Pull and took the belt with it, because it had a separate belt for it. Went to AutoZone and asked for a water pump belt and they only had what seems like alt and A/P (I know what A/C is and what P/S is, but what the heck is A/P?)

QUESTIONS:

1. How many belts do I need to run the water pump and the alternator?

2. Which bottom grove should I be using for which accessory?

3. From my three groove crank pulley and it's part number can you deduce if this beast originally came with air conditioning, or power steering?

Gentlemen [/Ladies], thank you for reading, and you have no idea how much I appreciate your help so far, I am so close to having this thing done I am tickled pink.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:07 AM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default VICTORY and lessons learned...

VICTORY and lessons learned...

Apperantly water pumps built to 03/14/1976 had a 5 3/8" hub height and those built from 03/15/1976 had a 5 3/4" hub height. Monkey tails, how is a man with no car therefore no VIN to know that Ford engineers?, but I digress. So it really don't matter if it's a truck pump i.e. part number prefix D7TE (T for Truck) or a Mustang pump i.e. D7ZE (Z for Zustang) what matters is the "hub height" I would call it hub length cause it don't stick up, but again, tomato - tomatoe.

So why did I replace the water pump rather than just shimming it? Well four reasons:

1. A new "correct" water pump costs only $21.99

2. Ordering a shimmy from Summitt, paying for it, plus the shipping, plus the wait time, didn't make sense.

3. I was also secretly hoping that magically the new water pump would hold the alternator bracket a bit in a different position to where I could actually mount my alternator, i.e. my next task.

4. See one above...

Cheat Sheet. I bet you wonder what's the secret to being a Self Proclaimed Master Mechanic, well that's simple, it's a Cheat Sheet. With our minds filled with NFL, NASCAR stats, and images of the latest Sports Illustrated swim suit models (remember those?) it's kinda hard to remember where the long bolts go when putting back anything, so we turn to the "Cheat Sheet". That's right even the worst of us write things down, cause you're never too green to be a beginner. So in this case I traced the new water pump on a piece of paper and used that as a template for bolt placement. (Yes it would have been way easier to trace the darn gasket that came with the new water pump, but why split hairs.) And every time I removed a bold off of the old water pump I measured it and wrote the size down below the appropriate hole on the... [wait for it] Cheat Sheet! To keep things even more simpler I placed the bolts off the left side of the engine on the left side, and the right side on the ... right side. Did you know this darn thing uses 8 bolts of 5 different sizes?

NOTE TO SELF: Hold off on shooting a Christmas card to Ford this year!

Let there be a Water Pump page: http://www.gregandsandy.com/302/waterpump.htm

Old 08-04-2010, 02:22 AM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Looking for a similar diagram for a 302 Mustang II. Currently my water pump aligns with the small inside crank pulley and my alternator aligns with the middle crank pulley. I have a belt on the crank and the alternator, but don't know how I can run a belt on the crank and water pump since there is no way to adjust the tension. I do not have an Air Pump, AC, nor Power Steering. I am using 70-73 alternator bracketry hence the misalignment as I believe normally the AC, Water Pump run off the inside crank pulley. I am going for option three below:

Credit for the diagram below goes to http://1970mgr.org/_DriveBelts.htm