Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Pontiac GTO

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 07:12 PM
RPWoodbine

Default RE: Pontiac GTO

I own a 04 GTO as my daily driver. It's a very nice car. It is a little heavier and the suspension isnt quite as firm as other sport cars, however it has a nicer ride cruising along. Plenty of power and the 05 has 50 hp more than the 04. I drive a 05 Mustang GT as a work vehicle. For the money, I'd take the mustang any day of the week. It's a riot to drive and the after market is already starting to go nuts on it. Just my two cents.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:25 AM
Dread

If your over 35, go with the GTO, the seats are very comfortable. If you just wanna go fast and handle extremely well, go with a WRX or EVO. If muscular looks, decent handling and power are what you want, go with a Mustang. GTO is cheaper insurance than a Mustang, I don't know why, it just is. I don't know what insurance rates are like for the WRX and EVO.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:27 PM
TattooTears
4th Gear Member

If you are looking for something with more power I would suggest one of three cars. You can either go with a 05/06 Mustang GT, a 03/04 Cobra, or a C5 Corvette. All will give you more power than what you have right now and you can find all three in the mid 20K price range. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:23 PM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

The GTO is a nice car. My buddy has a 2005 GTO M6. It is very comfortable and rides very smooth. The styling is a little bland but it is not an unattractive car. The suspension is set up more for road racing than drag racing. I find that the handling is very good. If you going to get a GTO, get a LS2 GTO which is either a 05 or 06.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Nadelle
3rd Gear Member

I personaly test drove the 04 model when they came out, i was seriusly interested in what gm was doing with the ls1. Well ive got to say that it is a very nice car, pretty confy and roomy and resonalby quik. The six speed shifter is kinda ****y...i mean funky, its notchy and and vague. I drove the auto and was really suprised with how smooth it was compared to some older f-bodys ive driven. Suposedly the newer 05's have a better shifting mechanism in stick cars, i havnt personaly driven the 05's so i cant tell ya. But yeah they are nice cars. Get a used 04 for about 22-29k, the newer 05's are way to pricy brand new 35k![:'(] or just stick with the 05-06 Mustang Gt 23-29k

[IMG]local://upfiles/32148/426BB2B786A04B1BAFAF5E97360D0C83.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-15-2006, 12:02 AM
Dread

You can get an 05 GTO for under $29k now. You just have to shop around. Some dealers would be happy to get them off their lot. My friend got a real nice blue one with blue interior, 18' wheels and Potenza tires. It's an automatic but I read that the autos are actually a bit faster than the 6 speed. He only paid $27,900 for it.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:15 AM
thebossman

ORIGINAL: BlackMagic1

Well, since GM is discontinuing that car, I wouldn't recommend it.Nice idea, but the car looked just like a Grand Prix and never sold well. Plus they are made in Australia,and shipped back here.One of Americas original muscle cars and they can't make a new one here? How screwy is that? Plus your talking some pretty good amount ofcash, if all you want is more power.Pick up a new Mustang or go for a used Cobra,you'll still be thousands ahead.

Actually they are bringing the GTO back. Supposedly in 2008. They are completely redoing the car. No more Australia. They are making it in the states again. Let me see if I can find the article.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:43 AM
Dread

Ya, I read that somewhere too. I guess it's supposed to be built at the same plant the new Camaro will be built at. Early talk is it will be more expensive and have way more HP. Things change though.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:39 AM
Snake
1st Gear Member

I thought about buying one too, even test drove it. But like This Blood said, yeah it has 400hp but it just wasn't impressive enough as a total package. To me it seemed like I was about to buy an oversized Cavalier with 400hp.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:52 PM
karmann6898

There was actually just something on the news the other day about why they discontinued the style of the newest GTO's. I dont recall exactly what it was, but something about them wasn't environmentally friendly or something with the exhaust. Like I said I dont remember exactly what it was... did anyone else see that (and payed attention to it) who could fill us in a bit more? lol

-our hero-

Quick Reply: Pontiac GTO