Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

The Quality of Ford

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 08:35 PM
hesitant_pony

Default The Quality of Ford

Hey everyone,

I'm new here so pleaes excuse me ignorance. I'm a college student who has been driving his stereotypical Acura Integra for a few years. Soon, it will be time for me to get a new car and the 2005 Ford Mustang happened to catch my eye. I love the retro-futuristic design. One of my greatest concerns is the quality of the car. Ever since I researched cars to choose for my 1st, I've only heard the Mustang, or rather, Ford, receive heavy flak. These insults/criticisms have no doubt reached Ford perhaps they started raising their standards, or atleast to my common sense. Anyways, I just would like to ask you guys how the current Ford quality build is in their cars, take the 2004 mustang for example. Yellowy headlamp covers? Rattly interiors? Bad plastics? Poor construction? Faulty electronics? Dependable engine? Please don't think that I'm talking down on the Mustang, I just want to know the answers from those with first-hand experience. In advanced, thanks!
Old 03-24-2004, 08:59 PM
Brian18034
1st Gear Member

Default RE: The Quality of Ford

Well, I have an '03 and haven't run into any quality or dependability issues. The thing you have to remember is the '05 will be a first model year in a lot or areas, they may re-use some of the old "established" parts/ systems but many will be first run. The motor is the 4.6 but its using 3 valve heads, the wheelbase is longer, the interior is brand new, dash etc, some of the creature comforts are new (multi color display option). It could be a nightmare BUT... If they do half as well on the mustang with testing as they did for the all new '04 F150, life will be good. I have heard very few complaints for the totally new redesigned truck.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:32 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Ford's quality has improved drastically over the years. I've owned Fords since the first one I bought used in 1969, it was a 63 Galaxie 500 4 door I used to go to college with. had a 289 in it, first year they were out I believe. then I had a used 71 Torino with the 302 motor. first new one I bought was an 81 Fairmont Futura coupe and made the mistake of getting a straight 6, don't know why I did that and I will never have a 6 cylinder engine again! Car was very nice, but it wouldn't get out of its own way! I closely watched the evolution of the Mustang 5.0 and finally in 1987 bought my 88 GT which is still going strong on the drag strip. I retired it from street duty in 2000 after 108,000 miles since I had bought new a 97 F150 truck. I've only had 2 parts fail on the 88, the TFI module on the distributor and just last year the passenger side window motor. I didn't baby my GT while it was on the street and started drag racing it on the track when it had 78,000 miles on it. Nothing has failed on the truck and the build quality was excellent in my opinion. Give Ford a try, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by what you get!
Old 03-25-2004, 02:43 AM
hesitant_pony

thanks alot for the info...maybe with more reassurance, i can shake off those assumptions everyone makes of ford.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:51 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

BTW, for a college student your spelling and grammar needs a little work!
Old 03-25-2004, 11:43 AM
Doug McGill Jr.

They make those assumptions because they are GM Fans....Fords are highly dependable Amerian products. Those GM guys just have to much beef.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:10 PM
hesitant_pony

LOL. my apologies for the errors, I have 2 left hands and 2 right lobes...
Old 03-25-2004, 11:42 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Doug McGill Jr.

They make those assumptions because they are GM Fans....Fords are highly dependable Amerian products. Those GM guys just have to much beef.
Do you have any idea wtf you're talking about?
Old 03-26-2004, 01:32 AM
04ShakinSteed
I ♥ Acer

Can we please post this a few more times in different rooms?????? LMAO!!!
Old 03-26-2004, 11:04 AM

I'm new here so pleaes excuse me ignorance.
RRRRRRRRRR laddie, here on me pirate ship we have a Ford Motor powering the turbines...it's never let us down RRRRRRR

Quick Reply: The Quality of Ford