Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

better or worse

Old 04-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Black_sunshine
2nd Gear Member

Default better or worse

How does every one feel the mustang is going to fair against the challenger and the camaro.in price,performance and overall apeal.I like the new challenger but It like the camaro will price out of the rainge of what most ppl can afor (or mabey not)
Old 04-18-2006, 03:41 PM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: better or worse

If GM makes a V8 Camaro's MSRP lower than the Mustang GT, then Ford's going to have some trouble on it's hands. You also have to think about dealer mark-up also. So many dealers were marking up the GT beyond the $24-$26k base price ($28-$33k). The GT should've, ideally, been about $21-$23k base. If GM does that kind of pricing, then, hey the 'Stang's cool, but people will go for what's going to be easier on the pocket-book.

According to articles I read, Chrysler's MSRP on the Challenger will be around $30k, so that makes it in league with those that would be buying either Saleens, Cobras, or some other type of "super-muscle-car".
Old 04-18-2006, 06:03 PM
notdead
1st Gear Member

the gt base is 25,000 and 300hp. the camaro there talking it would be about tyhe same as the gto so 33,000 and 400hp. the challenger is what 425 and be like 38,000. hopefuly by then there up the hp on the gt by 25-50 and have a mach1 or a boss to hang with the camaro.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:04 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

1) I don't think we are really going to see a Camaro. GM is so broke they just sold GMAC last week and they are trying to sell Delphi to the Chinese. They are broke and it would probably be at least a $1.5 billion $ project to get a new car out there and at least a couple years too.
2) It seems all thru history, that any Dodge costs more than the Ford that is closest to it. Even back in the '70-'74 era, the Dodge Challenger was a lot more $$ than the 'Stang and the new one will be too. D-C did a nice job on the car but I'll bet any worth having will be 40K by the time it's in your driveway......
Old 04-19-2006, 08:23 AM
rwh129
4th Gear Member

I agree with what was said above.
I like the look of the Challanger but could care less about the Camaro.
GM and DCX would have to sell there cars for less than 25K in order to sell as many Mustangs as Ford.
The avarage guy will not be in the market for a new Challanger with MRSP starting over $30K
Old 04-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Black_sunshine
2nd Gear Member

I think they are going to make the camaro.because they are promoting the hell out of it.the local chevy dealer has a huge camro banner in the show room(my fiance owns a chevy thats how i know)And I got camaro stuff in the mail.but they will price it out of the reach of every day ppl
Old 04-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Dirtysouthstang
2nd Gear Member

it will be like the t-bird how ford took it out of production for a couple of years and then brought it back with almost double the price.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:41 PM
Kriger
2nd Gear Member

I believe the car that wins this battle wont be the one that just puts out raw HP. It'll be the one that gives the best bang for the buck HP at the pump. With gas prices never looking back the big automakers are surely under the gun to make things apeal to the masses. If I could get a 400HP car that got 15mpg or a 300HP that got 25 to 30mpg... I'm taking the 300HP. Having money or not, which I consider myself to have. Theres no way this HP and price will be the only factors in this new round of car wars. If ford could harness the 300HP to a hybrid and keep the mustang look... they would win! GM has missed the boat so many times in the recent past it's not hard to figure out (with their already ugly camaro start) that they will flop on this one to. Dodge has already showed off a kickass concept... The mustangs vs the challengers, I feel it'll be options for the price, keeping the package options and total cost down, then I feel by then it'll be more focused on getting good MPG with decent HP. You'll have guys here and there running insane HP, you always do.... but to sell this things like hotcakes... MPG is where its gonna be. Ford has found a favorable HP number that they need to get good MPG with and then they'll win in sals hands down. You GT guys and gals love your cars... but with 25 to 30 mpg or more you wouldn't even care what dodge or chevy had out there. And if you dont even agree a little... you will by summers end when fuel prices near $4 a gallon or maybe next summer when they are even higher.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:26 PM
CS6Stang

To say nothing of what the insurance will be on the Challenger and Camaro [X(]
Old 05-13-2006, 07:47 PM
CS6Stang

Being an automotive writer and host of a radio automotive talk show, I have been told by a very good Chrysler senior source of mine who says, "don't bother ordering one because the first run of Challengers are all sold! " He said the first run would be around 25,000 units.

As for the Camaro the one the design shop came up with prior to the one we see now, was heralded as the one they should go with by GM employees, but the powers to be said no and it was sent back to be redesigned again. This is the one we see now and as far as I am concerned GM have dropped the ball again if they do go ahead with this. Just like they have with the Impala and Malibu.

As for Chrysler whoever heard of a 4 door Charger, the PT Cruiser should have had a small V8 as should the Prowler, if not a V8 at least a minimum of a V6

The Mustang was and still is the most popular Pony car and will outsell the others for years to come. There is so much after market stuff to customize your Stang that the others just can't compete. What's great is seeing all the different Mustangs that their owners have customized the way they want them............So many great variations.

CS6Stang

[IMG]local://upfiles/33920/6D299A16BFF241A89E0DC343233F8079.jpg[/IMG]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: better or worse